Post-production wedding Look

Guest dienner

Guest dienner

Does anyone know a good Post production filter that can be used for the wedding kinda fuzzy hazy white bordered look.

I using FCP for my editing, but any advice for any post production would be great!

thanks

derek

Well, if you mean a vignette, you can create a matte, either oval-shaped or rectangular, make it white, feather the edge heavily and put on another layer above all your other tracks. For just a white diffuse glow in general, copy your footage onto a new layer above, blur it somewhat, change the composite mode to Lighten, and adjust the opacity of the top layer to taste. Or you could just create a white matte above and keep it at a low opacity.

• Premium Member
Does anyone know a good Post production filter that can be used for the wedding kinda fuzzy hazy white bordered look.

I using FCP for my editing, but any advice for any post production would be great!

thanks

derek

I'm confused

A: why is this in a cinematography forum?

B: you actually want to create a 'kinda fuzzy hazy white bordered look'?

C: why am I actually replying to this nonsense?

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Can you do filter effect in Final Cut Pro or use plug-in for FCP? I send my wedding footage

to production house in NYC. There are lots of filters availabe for this look,you can go through

filters listed by suppliers on line. As you know focus becomes a problem with these filters so

I tend not to use them a lot in weddings,but as requested per contract. Using filter effect in

post however gets you away from focus issues. I use filter effects in post with Photoshop CS2

for stills and get excellent results.

Greg Gross

If you've already shot the material you'll need to do some sort of soft matting in FCP or other NLE. If you want to shoot to get that dreamy soft-focus look on raw video (or film) you would use fog or pro-mist filters, or the old standby, vaseline/nose grease on a glass plate placed in front of the lens.

The smeared vaseline trick was used for decades in Hollywood; you smear it around the outside of the plate, leaving the center clear; this way the center image is sharply in focus with a little soft-focus, and gets more unfocussed as you reach the edges of the frame.

You're thinking of a diffusion filter. These are placed in front of the lens, and scatter the light (or "diffuse" it) in order to give this look.

If you've already shot the material, you'll have to mess around a little. There are several ways to enhance the image, especially with FCP's native color correction abilities.

Here's a warning: don't do anything that calls blatant attention to itself. Infuse everything you do with an element of tactfulness. In a wedding video I did, I shot the pastor against a handy deep black background at the location while he was speaking. I was able to luma key the black out, and fade through different images of the congregation and bride and groom. It came off not only as creative, but good-looking and emotionally impacting.

In the moment of the shoot, it was only a hint of an idea in my mind, but in the edit room, it fell together perfectly -- and that's the key to creating a good wedding video, is to couple good footage with fresh, creative edit techniques, and to cast off the cliche "wedding video" transitions and effects.

Kind of went onto a tanget there ... bottom line, I'm not sure you can get a good-looking post diffusion with only FCP, but there are many ways to make a good wedding video.