Question About Kill Bill

Calibur

Hi, Im doing a term paper on Quentin Tarantino, and I have a question about the cinematography of kill bill vol 1. I know in the movie, there is a part where there are no cuts or anything for a good portion of time. Does anyone know where about in the movie it is?

• Premium Member

Are you thinking of the O-Ren Ishi sequence where Uma Thurman stalks Julia Dreyfuss into the bathroom while the band plays? Somewhere in that sequence I recall a very long moving shot with no cuts. Of course, there are other less spectacular scenes where Tarentino hardly cuts...

If you go to the sister site of this forum, the Steadicam forum, you can find a post by the Steadicam operator detailing a long, cmplicated Steadicam shot that he operated for the film. The film is out on DVD; you should be able to watch it yourself and see what are the long single shots.

Also, in Volume II, the scene in China - where the picture is extremely grainy...

a friend of mine is convinced this is Super 8 blown up, in order to achieve the 70's look. I'm not so sure it looks to me like digital grading, anyone know?

you're correct David. I just read the production notes on Kill Bill published in American Cinematographer. They just kept duping it until Quentin said that it was what he was looking for.