Bolex Conversion results

Rachel Oliver

Hi this is for anyone out there who is interested in the Les Bosher Bolex conversion to S16;

I just got my RX-5 back today complete with a Les Bosher matte-box system and New bayonet hard front. Les did a stunning job and even managed to keep the behind the lens filter! (very tough with a new front end usually) The really nice thing is my POE 16-100 seems to cover S16 without any corner darkening at all so that makes a fantastic zoom lens option for these cameras as they are very cheap but very decent! If you've been wondering about conversions I would highly recomend Les, it took a while as he is very busy but I don't think I could be happier with the results....

Take care everyone

Olly

Sounds great. I've heard that Les' work is top notch. I suggest you shoot a test chart with your zoom, especially checking the corner sharpness at 16mm and stopping down the lens to T5.6 or 8 at 16mm to check for corner darkening. Best of luck.

Mitch

Thanks Mitch I will certainly do that, how good a representation would you say the lens coverage gives at 16mm from T5.6 and smaller when simply looking through the reflex finder at a bright sky compared to actually viewing results on shot film? Just wondering as to my eye it seemed fine......

Olly

I'm interested in any recommendations regarding who does the best Bolex S16 conversions in the U.S. I have an SBM and prefer to stay with the Bolex bayonet mount. Or is the best option to send it to Les in Wales?

Serge

Looking through the viewfinder won't give you an accurate assessment of the edge sharpness as the prism and groundglass will degrade this. Also the eye/brain combination can "fix" exposure issues like edge brightness, so you might not see the problem through the finder but it can be quite evident on the print. It's worth shooting a roll of film to test.

• 2 months later...

There is an expert Bolex technician in Montreal by the name of Jean-Louis Seguin. He recently converted an SB for me. I know several of the clients for whom he has made conversions to S16. The work is outstanding. From Les Bosher I picked up a Bolex bayonet to PL mount adapter. The results from using 35mm PL lenses on a Bolex are impressive.

Guess I 'd better put in a plug for our service. My company Aranda Design in Melbourne converts all 16mm cameras to super 16. Even the 'impossible' Arri BL. We started with Bolex and have converted more of these than any other make. Turnaround is 5 days plus freight each way. I'd be glad to talk to anyone with a Bolex.

http://www.design.arandafilm.com.au

Regards

Bruce McNaughton