The same question...

Chris Youell

The ever present question that seems to be on most people's mind is, "Which is the right camera for me?" Well, wouldn't you know it, it's on mine too. I've been working with my old 1 chip JVC camera for a long time doing weddings and various projects and now I am in need of an upgrade. Over the next few months I will have the oportunity through my church to go on several mission trips to work down in New Orleans, Mexico, Thailand, and possibly down in the Amazon for a while. I obviously want to be able to get the clearest image possible so I would like to go with an HDV camera because I am by no means a rich man. I think probably around $6000 would be the limit for me.

So what would you guys suggest? I'm not to worried about shooting variable frame rates, my chief concern is being able to get a clear picture. Should I go for something that shoots 1080i or something that shoots 720p? Should I spend the money on a really good camera or go for a less expensive one and get more excessories like lots of batteries (i don't know if all the places will have somewhere I can charge)? Are there certain ones that can handle heat better than others or is it really a matter of casing for the camera? I'd just like to hear imput from you guys. Thanks.