Pushing 5229

I'm going to be shooting a film with a lot of night scenes in a car at night, driving around the city. I want to push the film a stop. Other threads I read said a bit about how the density and contrast on the 5229 compare to 5279 and 5218, but they didn't say anything, that I could find anyway, about the grain factor. The project is in all likelihood destined for a video release only, and a low contrast look is totally what we are after, hence my wanting to use the 5229. Anyone pushed this stock and loved it? Aside from graininess, what does it do to color? I've shot the 5229 normally and I know how the colors handle that way, but pushed I don't know. Thanks.

Travis

What grain? I just pushed 29 two stops and exposed it at 400 asa and couldn't see any grain at all. Given i went to tape, I shoot a TV show, but I couldn't believe how easy it was for the colorist to bring detail back. As long as your ratios are right you will be fine. Push 2, have fun. That stock will let you do anything to it. I miss 93 and 48 already.

Paul Sommers

• Premium Member
What grain? I just pushed 29 two stops and exposed it at 400 asa and couldn't see any grain at all. Given i went to tape, I shoot a TV show, but I couldn't believe how easy it was for the colorist to bring detail back. As long as your ratios are right you will be fine. Push 2, have fun. That stock will let you do anything to it. I miss 93 and 48 already.

Paul Sommers

Well, that's because you never underexposed the stock -- 500T stock rated at 400 ASA with a two-stop push gives you two and one-third stops excess density.

He's talking about underexposing and pushing in order to shoot in lower light levels, which will increase the grain over normal or overexposure. Since 5229 is slightly grainier than 5218, it's also grainier when underexposed and push-processed, although not radically so compared to 5218.

hi Travis,

If you can, do some test with and without push-process to see the grain (and lab's work)

your final product is a video so don't worry about 29's grain, is fine enought.

I used to shoot by night with a super speed lens T:1.3 and 29 :this is recreate what I see.

best

Mikael.

• Premium Member

As with most other color negative films, a push process will increase contrast and graininess somewhat. For the lower contrast "look" you want, you may find normal processing to be best, with your colorist able to retain rich blacks and shadow detail, even if you need to underexpose slightly.