new frame grab

Ckulakov

Dear Filmmakers,

What do you think of the following still. I whanted something elegant romatic with a stylized highlight. I didnt whant it to look boring so i used a 500 watt photoflood backlight (3200). Then I used a gold reflector board which made the face look warmer. I balanced daylight to make it look even more warm.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/Ckulakov/IMG_0471.jpg

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT

• Premium Member

looks nice. I would've given her a small eye light. Also, Michael makes a good point about the color of the walls. If I was working with this particular background, I would've flagged the light off the top of the wall and put a little hilight in the top right corner for more contrast. Your key hits her face and body quite elegantly. The picture is overall too orange for my taste but you could get away with it a little more if you had some more contrast in the background and even some color seperation.

• Premium Member

That looks quite, nice, though it's quite a lot too warm for my taste. I think I would have balanced to tungsten or perhaps to a card with 1/8 or 1/4 CTB, not full blue. That is, of course, personal taste. I also think Vittorio Storaro often goes too far with color, too ;) :P

I like it...

It looks alot better from the first frames you posted all that time ago...The contrast looks good but i think a little bit of frontal soft light is needed to get rid of those bags under the eyes and then krank up your key to still give you the contrast...

Good work...

James.

Edited by James Brown

To me the background is the biggest weakness of the grab. as previously said it feels like it needs something to seperate it, the backround is very sparse and too close to skintone to be left flat. perhaps if you can reasonably justify it some shadow or a flare or a bit of a graduated background would just help seperate it a little.

I also agree about the comment on the eyelight. would set it off. maybe even just a subtle bit of backlight on the hair on the left might also look good and help with the seperation.

pretty nice grab.

cheers.

• Premium Member
i think a little bit of frontal soft light is needed to get rid of those bags under the eyes

Good makeup would also help. I put my hand over her eyes and all of a sudden the whole frame looked a little better. One bad aspect of a frame can spoil the whole thing.

Hey Ckulakov,

The excessive warmness almost negates the romantic effect. It's like the room swallows up her natural beauty. She's a gorgeous girl (girlfriend?) and would probably look better seperated from her background, with an added eyelight, and no distracting artifacts behind her (picture frame, etc).

Now I don't know enough to be handing out any advice, but if I had to reshoot it i'd opt for a darker background, 5600k flo's + generous fill, eyelight, hard backlight (hairlight?), some very subtle diffusion on the lens.

You did however capture a 'look' from her eyes that brings the shot up a notch. As distracted as I was from the overall color, background and lighting -- it's a shot that grabs your attention. Nicely done.

And it's a lot better than your previous pics so keep up the good work. You'll nail it soon.