4008 prime lenses advice

DaNiElE BeLArDo

Guest Ian Marks

There are several different Cinegon 10mm lenses - including one made specifically for super-8 Leicina which (I think) is in a Leica M-type bayonet mount. There is a large front (55mm diameter filter thread) C-mount Cinegon which is very sharp and covers Super 16, the fairly common, 1960's-era 10mm cinegon seen in a standard Arri mount, and a C-mount version that I think is optically the same as the Arri lens. All pretty good, but all older designs intended for 16mm, with the obvious exception of the Leicina lens, which is reputedly one of the sharpest lenses you can use for Super-8 (but which won't fit your Beaulieu).

The 12.5 Cooke Kinetal is from the same 1960's era as the Arri-mount 10mm Cinegons, covers Super-16 , performs on par with the Cinegons too. Neither the Cooke nor the Cinegon are particularly fast lenses, and performance will improve when stopped down a couple of stops from maximum aperture. Probably okay for Super-8, but I don't know that either one is going to ring your bells for outstanding performance.

Hi, once owned both lenses but in arri std mount. Schneider footage appeared a lot sharper, kinetal image was warmer. Used the schneider on sunny days, preferred the kinetal images on cloudy days. Which ever lens you go for, get the lens adjusted to your camera by a service agent, otherwise you may get soft images. (sorry if i have told you something you already know)

Andy