To Film School or Not To Film School?

I have a friend who wants to become a writer/director, but has no intentions to attend film school. In his eyes, film school is what makes or, in most cases, breaks people. That if you don't make it right out of film school, you don't really have a chance. He thinks that it is better to just spend your time making movies and learning from those rather than learning about it from a school-like setting. I, on the other hand, am trying very hard to get into film school because I want to be able to learn EVERYTHING I possibly can and begin networking. I think that from this, I will be able to break into the industry if not right away, then at some point soon after.

What are the dangers of going or not going to film school? Are there any successful directors who have not gone to film school (aside from the obvious)?

I have a friend who wants to become a writer/director, but has no intentions to attend film school. In his eyes, film school is what makes or, in most cases, breaks people. That if you don't make it right out of film school, you don't really have a chance. He thinks that it is better to just spend your time making movies and learning from those rather than learning about it from a school-like setting. I, on the other hand, am trying very hard to get into film school because I want to be able to learn EVERYTHING I possibly can and begin networking. I think that from this, I will be able to break into the industry if not right away, then at some point soon after.

What are the dangers of going or not going to film school? Are there any successful directors who have not gone to film school (aside from the obvious)?

There is another threads on the boards that covers this issue quite well, and will be much quicker that waiting for posts: http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...showtopic=10366

cheers.