235 and hawks

Keith Mottram

• Premium Member

Depends which Hawk lenses that you use: the C-Series are lighter than the V-Series, but their optical quality isn't as good as the Vs.

I've done handheld with the 50mm and 75mm V-Series on a Moviecam SL and the camera got very frontheavy. I presume it will be even worse with the 235, because that camera is even lighter. If one has very heavy lenses, it's a good idea to have a heavier camera and/or 1000ft mag (not an option with the 235 I know), so although there is added weight, at least the camera is balanced on your shoulder.

Getting an Easyrig might be a good idea, it would solve the balance problem and a 235 with Hawks is not very heavy to begin with either.

• Premium Member

I rigged something to compensate for a front heavy camera on a feature last year that might work for you. I was doing handheld with an Arri 3, which is a terrible handheld camera and front heavy even without a lens because of the length of the eyepiece, so I had my 1st put on very long rods and I rigged two shot bags to the back of the rods so that they hung behind my back. It made the camera very heavy, but it really saved my arms (at the expense of my shoulder). I had done a few shots with the standard setup before we jerry rigged the camera and my arms were shaking and burning at the end of each take. This same approach would probably work well with the 235 and it will be considerably lighter than the setup I had. Good luck.

• Premium Member

Max, Brad, thanks for the replies am hoping to go to arri next week to see how well it balances, am also going to compare it to an aaton 35, which although will be a couple of kilos heavier might be slightly better balanced. let you know what I think,

cheers,

Keith