Video looking like film

Guest Dolly

Hey, -- all you videographers -- Does anyone know how to make tape look more like film? I'm using a Sony DNW-90 WS ( SX ) and tried dropping the detail, even turning it off, but it only helps a bit. I've tried softer lighting, and that helped a bit. I haven't messed around with the gama curve, because I'm not sure how the changes would affect my video. Any suggestions?

• Premium Member
Does anyone know how to make tape look more like film?

Perforate it! :D

Hey, -- all you videographers -- Does anyone know how to make tape look more like film? I'm using a Sony DNW-90 WS ( SX ) and tried dropping the detail, even turning it off, but it only helps a bit. I've tried softer lighting, and that helped a bit. I haven't messed around with the gama curve, because I'm not sure how the changes would affect my video. Any suggestions?

Ah, the eternal question, even for $40,000 cameras! :P "How do I make my video look like film?".

Sorry --- I couldn't resist. ;)

• Premium Member

Short of John's suggestion, which is a good one, that camera is interlace-only so it falls on good lighting and shooting in 16x9. De-interlacing is not the greatest choice, but you could try that. I don't think that camera HAS a film-gamma setting but you could check the settings on a camera that DOES have it (like a DSR-450 WS) and just copy them down and see where that gets you. Then try a couple flavors of diffusion filter in addition to bringing down vertical res.

There is a BIG difference between "movie (film) look" and "film look". The first being emulation of style (I'd put 24fps motion in there too), while second being emulation of the characteristics of the photographic medium.

There is little or no problem with the first one with enough money

Thanks for the info. The site is a little basic, but it never hurts to go over the old material.

It's always very much appreciated.

Dolly, if you haven't already, be sure to check out www.dvinfo.net This site is dedicated to everything to do with digital video and achieving the "Film look" is discussed daily in its own subcategory. These discussions are extremely in-depth and even touch on techniuques for specific cameras and NLE software.

wonderful forum (just like this site!!)

• Premium Member
I am surprised that no one mentioned the MINI 35 this is fantastic, and if you can afford to rent it + 35mm lenses + swing & tilt lenses; you've got some good looking footage.

Well, the Mini35 won't work on that camera. You'd need the Pro35 and for that kinda money ($800-1000 for a Pro35 + cine primes), you can rent a Varicam which would get you closer (24p + film gammas) than a 60i ENG camera and a Pro35.

I assumed she wanted to work with what she already had.

I am surprised that no one mentioned the MINI 35 this is fantastic, and if you can afford to rent it + 35mm lenses + swing & tilt lenses; you've got some good looking footage.

Isn't the Mini35 just a depth of field machine? I always thought that it was just a fancy adaptor with a spinning or vibrating ground glass to macro focus your camcorder on to and be able to hook 35mm lenses to a miniDV camcorder to get a shallower depth of field (like film cameras). Lots of eager and innovative Indies have been making their own DOF machines with pretty decent results. These are wonderful tools that can give you yet another "artistic choice" when starting a project.

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/dof/index.htm

Edited by stevewitt

Dolly, if you haven't already, be sure to check out www.dvinfo.net This site is dedicated to everything to do with digital video and achieving the "Film look" is discussed daily in its own subcategory. These discussions are extremely in-depth and even touch on techniuques for specific cameras and NLE software.

wonderful forum (just like this site!!)

Thanks again!

Well, the Mini35 won't work on that camera. You'd need the Pro35 and for that kinda money ($800-1000 for a Pro35 + cine primes), you can rent a Varicam which would get you closer (24p + film gammas) than a 60i ENG camera and a Pro35.

I assumed she wanted to work with what she already had.

You're right, I need to work with the Sony SX broadcast camera.

Thanks for your help.