Racking the Shutter on Aaton LTR 7

Jamie Metzger

I get to use this camera this coming semester, and I'm pumped. I know it's silent, and an all around great camera (coming from Bolex and arri s/B).

Anyone know if you can change shutter angle on the fly, or rip out and later put back in the shutter?

Thanks for the help.

The shutter is also the mirror, so if you removed it you would not see anything through the viewfinder. The shutter angle is fixed at 180, however you could have a technician throw it out of timing and then later reseat it. But for the cost of doing this it would be cheaper & better to rent a camera with an adjustable shutter such as an Arri SR3. I doubt any camera tech would be willing to screw with the shutter on such an old camera.

hi Jmetzger,

aaton LTR : fixed shutter angle : 180°.

mikael.

I know the shutter changes for 25fps and 24fps, so I was thinking that you could change it a little more on the operators end.

No hope for this?

The shutter is also the mirror, so if you removed it you would not see anything through the viewfinder. The shutter angle is fixed at 180, however you could have a technician throw it out of timing and then later reseat it. But for the cost of doing this it would be cheaper & better to rent a camera with an adjustable shutter such as an Arri SR3. I doubt any camera tech would be willing to screw with the shutter on such an old camera.

Is there anyway to stop the shutter from spinning; so as to get the look of a shutter not being there?

• Premium Member

There is no adjustable shutter at all for the 7LTR, not even an after market upgrade. There is no shutter adjustment for different frame rates (ie 24/25), it's just a solid ceramic disc with a silver 180 degree mirror.

With no shutter, you will have a constant smear, with nothing other than general color or exposure changes being discernable. As Mitch pointed out, you can have the shutter/claw timing adjusted to that the film moves a bit before the shutter covers it up causing a bit of streaking on the image...

Adjusting the shutter/claw timing would also require the shutter to be rebalanced after it was screwed back down and also resetting the screen focus accordingly. All of which would have to be repeated once you had a technician reset the shutter. It could also get expensive because, to my knowedge, there is no guide or test that shows that if the timing is off by X you get a smear effect of Y... so you'd probably have to have it adjusted a few time before you found the 'right' amount of smear. That is, unless, you settle with whatever you get after the first adjustment.

We typically charge 4 hours at $125/hr to correct a timing error, so it would probably cost the same to induce one.

It's alot to go through for something that you can probably do in After Effects if your finishing on tape.

There is no adjustable shutter at all for the 7LTR, not even an after market upgrade. There is no shutter adjustment for different frame rates (ie 24/25), it's just a solid ceramic disc with a silver 180 degree mirror.

With no shutter, you will have a constant smear, with nothing other than general color or exposure changes being discernable. As Mitch pointed out, you can have the shutter/claw timing adjusted to that the film moves a bit before the shutter covers it up causing a bit of streaking on the image...

Adjusting the shutter/claw timing would also require the shutter to be rebalanced after it was screwed back down and also resetting the screen focus accordingly. All of which would have to be repeated once you had a technician reset the shutter. It could also get expensive because, to my knowedge, there is no guide or test that shows that if the timing is off by X you get a smear effect of Y... so you'd probably have to have it adjusted a few time before you found the 'right' amount of smear. That is, unless, you settle with whatever you get after the first adjustment.

We typically charge 4 hours at $125/hr to correct a timing error, so it would probably cost the same to induce one.

It's alot to go through for something that you can probably do in After Effects if your finishing on tape.

Very true. Thanks for the help. I guess I was mislead, even after I read the users manual and saw nothing about the shutter angle.

Perhaps you misunderstood what happens when switching from 24fps to 25fos. The shutter is a fixed 180 degrees, so at 24fps the shutter speed is 1/48th of a second and at 25fps the shutter speed is 1/50th of a second. But the shutter angle cannot be changed.

On the latest version of the XTRprod the shutter can be set to a variety of angles from 180 to smaller.

Perhaps you misunderstood what happens when switching from 24fps to 25fos. The shutter is a fixed 180 degrees, so at 24fps the shutter speed is 1/48th of a second and at 25fps the shutter speed is 1/50th of a second. But the shutter angle cannot be changed.

On the latest version of the XTRprod the shutter can be set to a variety of angles from 180 to smaller.

I double checked and that's correct, Thanks for the info.