crane based on a tripod

Delorme Jean-Marie

• Premium Member

Sure, it works. Not very well, though. The head has to be a big enough to handle the total load. I solved the cam platform by manual lever. It took two guys to operate the rig and it was a little clumsy. A simpler rig is a simple crane arm out of 2x4 tupe stock steel and dangle the camera off the end in a little cart-like mount. The cam bobbles a little so it's not great either. Yet, if the crane action is slow and there is no wind, it can work.

So you need seven feet of vertical travel and need to support at least 20 ibs. of camera. Can the camera be simply mounted to a plate on the end or do you need a tripod head on the end? That could mean another 10 pounds or so.

There are several options out there. The cheap solution I think you're thinking of is the Cobra crane, which is not designed for cameras of the weight you describe. You can look into renting an EZ/FX jib or a Porta-Jib. I have a standard Porta-Jib and it has six feet of travel, but there are extensions available.

There are many lightweight jibs on the market that are designed to mount to regular tripod sticks with the tripod head mounted on the end. Look in your area to see about renting a Porta-Jib, an EZ/FX jib, a Seven Jib, a Cinekinetics jib, a Trovatto jib, or a number of other units. If you ask around and tell them what you require it shouldn't be too hard to find. These types of jibs generally rent for under $100/day.

I bought the Glidecam Camcrane 200, and though they say it will work with a 30 pound camera, though real video from a 15 pound camera on it looks rough because the jib flexs due to I think poor build quality, and now I am afraid I am stuck with the (bleep bleep) unless I can figure out how to make it work more fluidly. I need to call Glidecam again and talk with them about it, but overall after using this and their stabilizers I think they are a poor company and overate their products capabilities.

Edited by johnhollywood

Hmm...mind if I ask you for some sample footage, John? I recently worked on a digital feature using that rig (an XL2 was mounted) and I too, wasn't that impressed, though it seemed decent enough for me to consider purchasing.

I was using a Sony DSR-500 which is a heavier camera and doesn't have image stabilization. So you can imagine your footage probably looks smoother. I am disheartened and wonder if both of us complained enough we could get our money back. Probably not, and I am sure I won't get back the $70 I paid to ship it.