MINI35

Ram Shani

i just got in to the mini35 thing.

looking at dvxuser and dvinfo and reading a lot about it i still can't make my mind about it

i dont have the money to buy the p+s (7500$)

so i look at the: sg35-redrock m2 - letus35flip and G35

I know that only the letus35 do the flipping

1- what lens you recommend (35mm still)

2- can you zoom with the cam lens or it has to be fixed

3 - what is the focal plan for focusing

WHAT YOU THINK OF IT

how meny of you us it??

Used the P + S. Looks good for what it is. It has a white line on it which represents your "film plane". As far as lenses go, we used Zeiss Super Speeds, I know you're looking for 35mm SLR recommendations though, so I don't know what to tell you. I would think you can use it with a zoom because it's a fixed adaptor. Maybe you could contact a rental house and see if they have any for you to look at and "test-drive" before you throw down the cash.

I used it a bit during some testing I was doing. It really helps out those cameras that look nice, but photographically speaking they are challenging. with 1/3" DOF its really hard to get good photography (if selective focus is important to you) so its a nice help. Also with most of those cameras I put some glimmerglass or promist or something to soften it up and give a reason for the highlights being so bad, this addaptor basicly replaces any lens softening filters I would use.

I have been told that zoom lenses are not recomended. You might be able to get away with light lenses, but eventually it will be too much and break the mount. check with the rental companies. Some let you, others wont. With a still lens you can zoom, but dont expect a rocker switch. You will have to do it manually. With cine lenses you can get zoom motors and folow focus for it.

My opinion is they are expensive, but a DVX-100 or HD-100 with a mini-35 will give pictures that rival an SDX-900 type (if you actually use DOF in your photography)