Fairly basic stand question

Matt Lazzarini

Hi all,

I've always gotten conflicting answers to this question so I thought I'd pose it here:

When setting up a basic c-stand with say a flag on an arm, should the arm be in the same direction of the biggest leg of the stand or should it be in the opposite direction? Safety-wise, that is, where should the weighted leg be placed?l

Can I hijack and ask what the deal is with tightening the. . .uh. . .knob. . .that holds the gobo arm? There's some deal where if you tighen one way, weight put on the end of the arm will loosen it, whereas when tightened the other way, weight on the end of the arm actually further tightens it. I figured there's some way to tell which way is which without trying it both ways first, and having to turn the arm around.

I believe that, yes, the big leg should be lined up with the arm. But instead of putting the bag on the opposite lower leg, I think you're supposed to put the bag on the big leg as well.

That's what I was firs taught, and what I think to be correct. But every now and then on a shoot I'll be told by someone higher up or with more experience that it's the other way around. Sometimes it's actually a little insulting because it makes it seem like I'm a complete noob.

Can I hijack and ask what the deal is with tightening the. . .uh. . .knob. . .that holds the gobo arm? There's some deal where if you tighen one way, weight put on the end of the arm will loosen it, whereas when tightened the other way, weight on the end of the arm actually further tightens it. I figured there's some way to tell which way is which without trying it both ways first, and having to turn the arm around.

Assuming the above is correct lol, the way I was taught to make it easiest is to position the stand with the big leg facing forward, and the gobo head's knuckle on your right. Proceeding from there should result in a perfect orientation.

I'm sorry, you've lost me. I need a diagram. Define "forward"--you mean the big leg faces the same way I do?

I'm sure what I posted is correct about tightening one way and loosening the other--I've personally experienced it and gotten that tidbit from a DP or two. I was just curious if there was a less trial-and-error way to know which way was which.

UVA's Basic Grip Book describes the bagging of a C-stand and the orientation of the big leg as David indicated. That's also the way I was taught by many key grips including some Local 52 keys.

Edited by Fast Chieney

what the deal is with tightening the. . .uh. . .knob. . .that holds the gobo arm?

Yeah, it's just your standard "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" logic. if the grip arm/weight is hanging on the left side of the knuckle, gravity will naturally pull the weighted side down and it will loosen the knuckle as it does so (and possible hit someone), because it's turning counter-clockwise. if the arm/weight hangs on the right side of the knuckle, it can only get tighter, as gravity is pulling it clockwise. So the arm goes on the right side of the knuckle, and the big leg should be directly below this, as should the bag.

• Premium Member

You stand "behind" the c-stand so that the arm is extended away from you and the big knob should be on the right side of the stand, so you are turning clockwise to tighten it. That way, the weight on the arm is also pushing downwards clockwise, tightening it.

It definatly makes a defference. I was on a shoot where Carl Weathers was directing and accidentally put the arm on backwards while building the video village. The french DP quickly tured it around with the comment "Come on! Zis is Grip 101" right in front of the Key Grip. I was enbarresed and he was embarressed, fortunately tyhe DP was too buzy to be pissed and I didn't get fired but I heard about it all day.

Edited by Capt.Video