"bubble"

Much of what I watch on DVD is things I can't get to see theatrically. For some things it's "OK"

I'm depressed that the 3 hour cut of "The New World" will be - apparently DVD only because the cut I saw a couple weeks ago - projected very nicely in an AMC 24 - felt rushed. (Didn't see the first cut that was out in Dec.)

Same with Claire Denis "L'Intrus" last night on DVD - I almost wanted to stop, but the chances of seeing in 35 soon are slim.

Some films just need the space and rhythm.

-Sam

P.S. "L'Intrus" is not "out" on DVD in the US, a friend of mine bought it in London.

Note to Jack Valenti & company, he'd seen it twice in US theatrically so this purchase wasn't stealing revenue; second note it played theatrically in NY for like a week recently, geez exactly what kind of window is that ?

With theatrical releasing having become the movie equivalent of "Top 40" radio, I have no problem with alternate strategies ---

-Sam

• Premium Member
With theatrical releasing having become the movie equivalent of "Top 40" radio, I have no problem with alternate strategies ---

-Sam

So I guess you're a fan of the multiple release strategy that "Bubble" took. I guess it's nice when you can't see something in the theater.

• Premium Member

I had the luck to be visiting my grandmother who lived in North Hollywood the week that "Lawrence of Arabia" came out. I still have wonderful images in my head of what that picture looked like projected properly in an LA movie house, I don't remember which one but it was probably one of the Hollywood houses. I've got a 55" Mitsubishi Platinum CRT with HD DirecTV, HD over the air tuner, and a Mitsubishi progressive DVD. Sorry - NOTHING looks like David Lean and Freddie Young's masterpiece on the big screen with a prime print. I've got the DVD - it's okay and I'm anxiously awaiting HD DVD but my! what magic silver works on the eye.

Edmond, OK

Don't mean to blur this post into negativity, but the Odeon Leicester Sq, London now sells tickets for £20 - $34.89 and it costs about the same again for popcorn, drinks etc... Going to the cinema in London is becoming so prohibitive for most people that the more common option would be to buy the DVD from the net and lend it to out anyone who's interested in seeing it. Whatsmore, in London a film like this would certainly not be on General Release and would have a limited exhibition period, meaning it would only be available to a select few.

I absolutely not in favour of this multiple release strategy, but surely this scheme is beneficial to those who would have to wait six to eight months to see the film anyway?