Only One Light Instrument

If you had to go to go to an island with access to electricity and you could only take one light what would it be and why. Would it be a KinoFlo(I am guessing that will be David Mullens answer), A soft box,the sun,etc... Be creative, and I think this could be a interesting thread.

I would proably have to say a 1k frenel, because I can use it directly,bounce it off walls,and etc.. Very small and versatile.

• Premium Member
If you had to go to go to an island with access to electricity and you could only take one light what would it be and why. Would it be a KinoFlo(I am guessing that will be David Mullens answer), A soft box,the sun,etc... Be creative, and I think this could be a interesting thread.

I would proably have to say a 1k frenel, because I can use it directly,bounce it off walls,and etc.. Very small and versatile.

Hi,

I've thought about this a few times. Actually I would take 2 lights! A 10K and a Dedolight 24v 150w!

With 10k I can create both a hard or soft light, key or fill.

Stephen

Hi,

I've thought about this a few times. Actually I would take 2 lights! A 10K and a Dedolight 24v 150w!

With 10k I can create both a hard or soft light, key or fill.

Stephen

Wow thats a huge difference in power, how would you vary the 10k into soft light fill?

• Premium Member

Stephen,

Your comment reminds me of something Constantine Makris said in the October 1998 American Cinematographer referring to his work on Law & Order, "I once lit a scene with just those two lights; we had the 18K through the window and used the pencil-sized Kino as a minuscule eyelight."

• Premium Member
Stephen,

Your comment reminds me of something Constantine Makris said in the October 1998 American Cinematographer referring to his work on Law & Order, "I once lit a scene with just those two lights; we had the 18K through the window and used the pencil-sized Kino as a minuscule eyelight."

Brian,

Actually an 18K and a Dedo would be a better combination! However thinking in terms of weight, cabeling etc. then mabe a 4/6K Par and the Dedo would be the winning minimalist kit! FWIW I don't very often specify a 10K because of its size, but with a good sized crew its no problem.

Cheers,

Stephen