Make-up for Music Videos?

Hello,

I am planning on shooting a music video for a local band that I have met. While reading some informational material regarding low-budget music videos, I came across a question that I couldn't find an answer to:

What are the reasons for using makeup, or not using makeup on the band members?

Will I be sorry if I don't use makeup?

I understand that most major music videos have makeup artists (even for the ugly punk bands...hehe)

Am I missing a reason other than to hide blemishes?

Thank you,

-Daniel

• Premium Member
Hello,

I am planning on shooting a music video for a local band that I have met. While reading some informational material regarding low-budget music videos, I came across a question that I couldn't find an answer to:

What are the reasons for using makeup, or not using makeup on the band members?

Will I be sorry if I don't use makeup?

I understand that most major music videos have makeup artists (even for the ugly punk bands...hehe)

Am I missing a reason other than to hide blemishes?

Thank you,

-Daniel

Hi,

Make up and hair styling can make a huge difference. Many top models don't took that good when they turn for a shoot, however after 1-2 hours of make up they are transformed! I have worked with a top Hollywood male actor who needed 2 hours of make up, before his agent would allow any filming!

Bad make up artists, who just cover the face with powder do nothing to help unless you are shooting a horror movie!

Stephen

Guest jeremy edge

You want them to use a little makeup that matches their skin tone to cover up blemishes and to dull the shine the skin can have reflecting light. Even a hard core band can look better done like this.Tell the makeup artists (probably end up being a band member's girlfriend if youre on a budget) that you want them to look like they dont have any on from a distance but you want to smooth out their look. Unless, they really like the Killers.In that case cake it on and bring some blush lol!

Make up, lighting and filters are what make screen gods and goddesses. Marlene Dietrich carried a set of small lights not normally used on most productions with her. She would then instruct the lighting guys on how she wanted them set to make her lighting perfect and she knew more about lighting herr face than most DP's. An old trick used by cinematographers to reduce lines on an actor's face is to shoot through a sheer stocking stretched over the lens or to use vasoline smeared evenly across a glass plate in front of the lens. Using preperation H to temporarily reduce ines and baggy eyes is a well known trick of makeup artists. There was one actress, I can't remember who, that used to acutually pull her skin tight into her hairline and secure it with pins. Now that's dedication to looking good. It's not one OR the other. They're all inportant. You can make a goddess look like frankenstien or a toad look like a Playboy centerfold. It's all in the setup.