VHS VCR problems.

Canney

Yeah I recently got this old 1983 canon VHD editing system for free. It consits of two canon vr-20a's and a canon ve-10a for a controller. It playback and does everything fine except for this. It will do a play back fast forward search and rewind but when I stop the thing, and try to do the type of rewind and fastforward that does not play back a picture it makes like it going to go, make a whiring sound and then stops. This happens with both decks even when the controller isn't plugged in. Is there like anything I can do like oil something that might have gotten stuck form a long period of inactivity.

Almost forgot I got a canon ct-20 titlemaker, a canon vc-20 camera and vt-20 tuner plugged in to the mix.

Ohh yeah I was going to use these decks to make additional copies of multicam shots while were were shooting them. So I could give them out to various people and not have to wait and make multiple copies from one tape. Which I can do but I would prefer it if the decks were fully functional.

• Premium Member
Yeah I recently got this old 1983 canon VHD editing system for free. It consits of two canon vr-20a's and a canon ve-10a for a controller. It playback and does everything fine except for this. It will do a play back fast forward search and rewind but when I stop the thing, and try to do the type of rewind and fastforward that does not play back a picture it makes like it going to go, make a whiring sound and then stops. This happens with both decks even when the controller isn't plugged in. Is there like anything I can do like oil something that might have gotten stuck form a long period of inactivity.

Sounds like it might need alot more than just proper lubrication. Might take them to an electronics shop that still does VCR repair and cleaning, and hope that spare parts are available. I don't know the details of those machines, but many times age causes deterioration of belts, pinch rollers, plastic guides, plastic gears, and other components in the tape path. 20-year old electrolytic capacators are also prone to failure.

You got it for free -- but you get what you pay for.