Gyroscopic camera mount?

Mike Kaminski

A shot for an upcoming production requires the camera to rotate 180 degrees in-camera. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? I know there are gyroscopic mounts out there but i am ignorant to any information about them.

Majestic Light in New York supplied a 3 axis head for one of my productions. It was mounted on their Technocrane though I'm not sure if they rent it without the crane.

Chapman also has a three axis head.

Do you want to rotate the camera on the axis of the lens? Why do you want it gyro stablized? Is this a moving shot from a camera car or do you only need to rotate the camera from a fixed rig?

Majestic Light in New York supplied a 3 axis head for one of my productions. It was mounted on their Technocrane though I'm not sure if they rent it without the crane.

Chapman also has a three axis head.

Do you want to rotate the camera on the axis of the lens? Why do you want it gyro stablized? Is this a moving shot from a camera car or do you only need to rotate the camera from a fixed rig?

i actually have no idea, im not dping it but i just thought i would ask around and see. I believe it is to be a fixed rig, with the camera rotating on the lens axis.

i actually have no idea, im not dping it but i just thought i would ask around and see. I believe it is to be a fixed rig, with the camera rotating on the lens axis.

Does the mount have to be gyro'd? The Mega mount (Mega III or IV) aren't stabilized but do offer a third axis. The Libra Head and Stab C are stabilized, but have a VERY limited roll. The Wescam (now Pictorvision) XR has both (and weights less then the Stab C).

If it's just a nodal point head (rotating on the centre of the lens) you want, then you could order a Weaver / Steadman with a third axis, or the Ronford F7 Mk whatever with a third axis.

If you just need to mount on your current setup, then Panavision has their famous "PanaTate" and there is fench make that I think Clairmont may have (I know of one rental house here in Toronto that has one) and for the life of me I can't remember the name right now. If I'm getting close let me know and I can call around. Cine sst here used to rep it (and made a motor conversion too).

Hope this helps

David Erlichman - Dolly Grip

P.S. I don't work for any of the above companies... I just have to use their stuff.