How to get into to Making Music Videos /Movies

Guest TheCat12

Guest TheCat12

I'm 21 and I really want to get into cinematography , directing videos and possibly a movie and I need some advice on how to get started

"Hi I'm 21 and want to pilot an aircraft carrier. sailing around the world through fierce hurricanes amid blazing gunfire. And fly the airplanes, too. Any recommendations?"

Your question is a bit too open-ended to be meaningfully answered on this forum. Perhaps you could be more specific on your experience, with questions like,

"I've shot MiniDV / Super 8 / Super 16 / HDCAM and want to get the classic 'Wuthering Heights' gothic romance look, but in color - can you help me?"

As always, you will benefit from some reading up on the subject. This site has a "Cinematography Books" section full of useful and enjoyable reading. And of course, go out and shoot a bunch of stuff in your format of choice. MiniDV's are inexpensive to buy and shoot, and Super 8 cameras are dirt cheap on the used market. It's like shampooing. Shoot, process, view, repeat.

What's that old Chaplin line? "All you need is a girl, a park, and cop." Or the Truffaut line? "All you need is a girl and a gun!" (Or, for music videos, "All you need is a girl and a band!") B)

Edited by Robert Hughes

• Premium Member

There are two answers to your question.

The first is to consider film school. It's not for everybody but it's a good start for a lot of people. At the very least, you'll be meeting likeminded people you may work with someday.

The second is to just start shooting, plain and simple.