Small consumer-style true 24p camera

Tammo van Hoorn

Hi

Because of the nature of what I shoot and the style/look I choose, I like be be very discreet with my camerawork (almost hidden at times). I recently shot with the DVX100A and LOVED that 24p look but felt that even that camera was a little bit bulky for my needs. I tried out a 'fake' 24p on a consumer Sony and was not really convinced. I'm probably asking the impossible, but is there a true 24p palm-sized(or near abouts) miniDV cam on the market? If not, what suggestions would you have for a 24p 'effect' camera of the sort of size i've mentioned earlier.

Any suggestions or ideas would be warmly welcomed.

Tammo van Hoorn

• Premium Member

No, there are no smaller true 24P cameras.

Your best alternative would be to shoot with a 50i PAL palmcorder and convert that to 25P in post, then treat as 24P and convert to 60i for NTSC.

You may be OK with Canon's "frame mode" on some of their cameras -- the NTSC camera gets you a 30P look and the PAL gets you a 25P look. I don't know what's the smaller Canon camera to offer frame mode, the Elura?

No, there are no smaller true 24P cameras.

Your best alternative would be to shoot with a 50i PAL palmcorder and convert that to 25P in post, then treat as 24P and convert to 60i for NTSC.

You may be OK with Canon's "frame mode" on some of their cameras -- the NTSC camera gets you a 30P look and the PAL gets you a 25P look. I don't know what's the smaller Canon camera to offer frame mode, the Elura?

What would then, in your opinion, be eventually a better quality frame - a 50i palmcorder image converted to 25P in post, or a camera-generated 25P look?

Many thanks again.

• Premium Member
I recently shot with the DVX100A and LOVED that 24p look but felt that even that camera was a little bit bulky for my needs.

Removing the lens hood and rubber eyepiece makes the camera look much smaller -- but, maybe not small enough?

The drop in sensitivity of smaller cameras may result in create dark, unusable images. Something to think about.

• Premium Member
What would then, in your opinion, be eventually a better quality frame - a 50i palmcorder image converted to 25P in post, or a camera-generated 25P look?

Many thanks again.

Isn't that the same thing? Either you shoot true 24P or 25P, or you create it in post from 60i or 50i photography. If you mean, is the Canon's 25P look created using the camera's "frame mode" in the 50i PAL version better than creating it in post from 50i photography, it sort of depends on how good the software is doing the conversion.

Hi

Because of the nature of what I shoot and the style/look I choose, I like be be very discreet with my camerawork (almost hidden at times). I recently shot with the DVX100A and LOVED that 24p look but felt that even that camera was a little bit bulky for my needs. I tried out a 'fake' 24p on a consumer Sony and was not really convinced. I'm probably asking the impossible, but is there a true 24p palm-sized(or near abouts) miniDV cam on the market? If not, what suggestions would you have for a 24p 'effect' camera of the sort of size i've mentioned earlier.

Any suggestions or ideas would be warmly welcomed.

Tammo van Hoorn

Are you trying to put this in a womans bathroom?

The DVX is super small, what do you need it smaller for?