Can anyone ID this Crystal Sync Motor for the Arri 2C?

Guest ReadyTeddy

Guest ReadyTeddy

I recently bought an Arri 2C package from a production company going from film to HD.

The camera came with a couple of conventional Arri tube motors and then this one tagged "Crystal Sync", but with no other identification or documentation. The bottom plate on the tube motor reads "24FPS". I can't find anything else.

As you can see it is mounted on a Cine60 flat base adapter.

The motor has a dongle ending in a 3 pin XLR or Cannon connector.

Can anyone tell me who made this motor?

What is the operating voltage?

How is it wired?

Can anyone refer me to a resource discussing how to wire and power the various electric motors made for the Arri 2 series? I have some other motors with rather unusual pin configurations... six pin and so forth and wanted to know how I can go about connecting them to power supplies with the proper voltage and polarity etc...

post-9300-1139364033.jpg

• Premium Member

That's a Cinema Products CRA-6 motor. It should give you sync speed between 12 and 18 volts, although I believe the nominal voltage is 16.

The camera came with a couple of conventional Arri tube motors and then this one tagged "Crystal Sync", but with no other identification or documentation. The bottom plate on the tube motor reads "24FPS". I can't find anything else.

As you can see it is mounted on a Cine60 flat base adapter.

The motor has a dongle ending in a 3 pin XLR or Cannon connector.

post-9300-1139364033.jpg

Haven't seen one of those for years. As I remember it is 12 Volts dc. Plugged into the old style Cine60 belt battery. If it is in sync it will sort of chirp when you start it. You can mount it right on the bottom of the 2C for hand held.

• Premium Member
Haven't seen one of those for years. As I remember it is 12 Volts dc.

You'd be best to operate that motor at a little higher voltage than 12, because as soon as the battery dips even slightly below 12V, you're going to lose sync.

I have a schematic for the Cinema Products CRA-6 motor. The schematic does say 16-18volts for the supply voltage. I am suprised you don't get a sync alarm running them a 12volts.

If you have no use for it I would be interested in purchasing it from you.

• 17 years later...
On 2/8/2006 at 11:51 AM, nathan snyder said:

I have a schematic for the Cinema Products CRA-6 motor. The schematic does say 16-18volts for the supply voltage. I am suprised you don't get a sync alarm running them a 12volts.

If you have no use for it I would be interested in purchasing it from you.

Can you send me this schematic. I need to repair mine and cannot find it anywhere