cooke s2/s3 covering super?

Kitao Sakurai

Hi all,

I'm about to shoot a short in a few weeks, and the idea is we'll be shooting super 35 4 perf composed for 2:35.

I've shot stuff with this set of cooke S2/S3 primes which I absolutely adore, and I'd love to use them for this project, but I'm not sure if they'll cover super 35 2:35. My rental house says that they PROBABLY will cover but I don't think they've tried. I need to test, I know, but I'm just wondering if anybody has had a definitive experience with this setup before - either "yes, it worked beautifully, no problems" or "It was terrible! ruinied the production"... etc.

My instinct is that it'll probalby work - the 2:35 is pretty narrow, versus if I wanted to get 1:33 full aperture, in which case edge-to-edge would probalby be a problem.

Thanks in advance everybody!!!

kitao

• Premium Member
Hi all,

I'm about to shoot a short in a few weeks, and the idea is we'll be shooting super 35 4 perf composed for 2:35.

I've shot stuff with this set of cooke S2/S3 primes which I absolutely adore, and I'd love to use them for this project, but I'm not sure if they'll cover super 35 2:35. My rental house says that they PROBABLY will cover but I don't think they've tried. I need to test, I know, but I'm just wondering if anybody has had a definitive experience with this setup before - either "yes, it worked beautifully, no problems" or "It was terrible! ruinied the production"... etc.

My instinct is that it'll probalby work - the 2:35 is pretty narrow, versus if I wanted to get 1:33 full aperture, in which case edge-to-edge would probalby be a problem.

Thanks in advance everybody!!!

kitao

Hi,

They will cover upto a S35 1:185 without problem. The 18mm may look poop on the video assist, but will be fine on the film.

Stephen

The movie "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" used these same series lenses for closeups in the 2.35/1 super 35mm format.

Hunh, great news then!

Yeah, I really like the soft, bendy quality of these lenses - much more "anamorphic" looking than superspeeds.

Thanks!