Jean Yves Escoffier

Craig Buzz

ive been coming to this forum for months but just registered tonight,there is a ton of great info here and look forward to meeting alot of people with intrests similar to mine.i wont talk about myself unless requested so i will just start a thread,so here it goes...im curious why there is no mention of Jean Yves Escoffier anywhere here (if ive missed it let me know please),the man (rip) i think was great,perhaps underrated.at the risk of ruining my reputation right off the bat by mentioning gummo,love it or hate it,i think the photography was great and the movie a success (meaning that the filmmakers vision was a success) like i said love it or hate it.i remember reading a qoute from harmony korine about Jean Yves Escoffier when the producers told them the bond company was threatening to take away the movie because they were shooting too much film he told harmony '"&@^! these guys! We will fire everyone. It will be me, you, a %^&$#@! lightbulb, and the soundman."i really like that and i like artists who arent afraid.im sorry if this is a long post...Jean-Yves Escoffier is more famous for films like 'good will hunting' 'rounders' '15 minutes'

Craig

• Premium Member
...im curious why there is no mention of Jean Yves Escoffier anywhere here (if ive missed it let me know please

Craig

We have definitely discussed the work of Jean Yves Escoffier. You just may have to look back in the archives a year or two. He is a favorite of mine as well, I was first drawn to his style for his work on "Rounders" then I explored his other American films. Thanks for bringing him up.

I hadn't heard that quote from Harmony Korine. Great anectdote.

Welcome to the forum.

hello,

i've just read a few weeks ago this fantastic book by alexander ballinger called "new cinematographers".

maybe you know it already. if it's not the case, you should buy it .

it has a full chapter discussing the work (well selected works actually, including gunmo) of jean yves escoffier.

it's a great great book. and the section about this cinematographer is as wonderful as the rest.

it has discussion with the directir of photography, subtle analysis of his work.

and , in "gunmo" it's full of great details about behavior on the set, and the kind of environnement a director, non-pro actors can create, and how a cinematographer plays with this, and "sends away" everything, and sometimes everyone, to just focuses himself of what really matters. simplicity, strong acting, intimacy,.....

impressive reading.

thomas

• 1 year later...
hello,

i've just read a few weeks ago this fantastic book by alexander ballinger called "new cinematographers".

maybe you know it already. if it's not the case, you should buy it .

it has a full chapter discussing the work (well selected works actually, including gunmo) of jean yves escoffier.

it's a great great book. and the section about this cinematographer is as wonderful as the rest.

it has discussion with the directir of photography, subtle analysis of his work.

Hello Thomas, or anyone else who's read the book "New Cinematographers"...

Do you know if Escoffier explains how he was able to light the great fireworks scene in Les Amants du Pont-Neuf?

Does anyone know how he did it?