800T

SSJR

Any one every used 800T? if so anyone have footage, screenshots or stories to tell about this stock? I'm about to shot this stuff and I want to know the hard cold facts of this stock in use...

Thanks,

Student Filmmaker

Evan Lane

If I'm not mistaken, 800T has been discontinued for a while now, so definitely do a test to make sure the stock is still good.

I've shot with 800T before and it's very grainy. I shot a horror piece with it one time when we were trying to replicate old dirty film look and pushed it a stop, great low-light stuff, but super grainy - worked really well for the project though.

I'm going to assume you mean 5289, or 7289?

I've shot quite a bit of this stock, and really love it in 35, but I just don't feel it has the resolution for Super16 work unless you are really comfortable with the sacrifice in quality (but I don't even like 18 in Super16, so that's just me).

In 35, I've shot it both Skip/Bleached and pulled, and also normal, and find that it holds up quite well, contrastier than you might expect, with a wonderful palette, not as saturated as the 79 to my eye. I almost always over-expose it at 640ASA, since it helps push the black down a bit, as usually, when I'm shooting at higher ASA's I'm in a situation where the potential to under-expose is there (not always, but often). Night exterior, for example, where some shadow area's way off in the distance might be so dark as to milk out, I find it helps to overexpose the whole negative and print down with this stock.

If I can I'll throw some screen shots up later today.

thanks,

chuck

I should add this is 35mm

Yeah its 5289

That's a great help thanks chuck

Student Filmmaker

Evan Lane

I'm going to assume you mean 5289, or 7289?

I've shot quite a bit of this stock, and really love it in 35, but I just don't feel it has the resolution for Super16 work unless you are really comfortable with the sacrifice in quality (but I don't even like 18 in Super16, so that's just me).

In 35, I've shot it both Skip/Bleached and pulled, and also normal, and find that it holds up quite well, contrastier than you might expect, with a wonderful palette, not as saturated as the 79 to my eye. I almost always over-expose it at 640ASA, since it helps push the black down a bit, as usually, when I'm shooting at higher ASA's I'm in a situation where the potential to under-expose is there (not always, but often). Night exterior, for example, where some shadow area's way off in the distance might be so dark as to milk out, I find it helps to overexpose the whole negative and print down with this stock.

If I can I'll throw some screen shots up later today.

thanks,

chuck

• Premium Member
Any one every used 800T? if so anyone have footage, screenshots or stories to tell about this stock? I'm about to shot this stuff and I want to know the hard cold facts of this stock in use...

Thanks,

Student Filmmaker

Evan Lane

Here's the technical data:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...tive/5289.jhtml

Definitely test to see how much the graininess may have increased on an older film like this. Even if it was stored refrigerated, ambient radiation will likely have fogged additional fast grains, causing an increase in graininess.