Skateboard wheels for Dolly

Bob Hayes

I have a Modern Skateboard dolly. Four Wheels per Corner. The problem is the wheel are getting a flat side while waiting, causing a bumping during the move. Does anyone have any recommendations for a brand of skateboard wheel. The diameter is 68mm. I'm thinking of going with Powel Bombers 68mm with a 85 hardness.

try getting some that are rated 100a. that's the hardest you'll find. They used to make some skateboard wheels out of ceramic in the 60s I believe, but they stopped manufacturing them because they would shatter into dust on hard turns....

99a hardness wheels (polyeurathane) are easy to find these days. They also make 100a polyeurathane wheels too but are a little harder to find. The higher the number the harder the wheel. I've seen some 78a wheels around, I think those are the softest now being made. Swiss bearings are best.

• Premium Member

Bob,

My experience has always been that the dolly grip takes care of the flat spots by rolling the dolly back and forth in between takes. Is this not working? I don't think you want wheels that are too hard, because then you're more likely to feel any little bumps or imperfections in the track that much more. I guess it's a matter of finding a happy medium.

I have a buddy who's attempting to build his own, if you will. . .

Where does one find these wheels?

Well if you're looking for skateboard wheels...how about a skateboard shop...?

http://www.skateboard.com

This place has a good selection.

Also check out Long Valley Equipment's site

http://www.longvalleyequip.com/dolly.php

Good Luck

• 3 months later...
I have a buddy who's attempting to build his own, if you will. . .

Where does one find these wheels?

We are a large inline and skateboard wheel maker the was told about the flat spotting problem. We have used our patented technology to produce a camera dolly wheel the will not flat spot (not even in cold and hot environments) The wheels are generally soft around a 62 Shore A and give a super smooth roll with no noise and very low rolling resistance so they roll very easy compared to other wheels. When needed we can add an outer coating to make the wheel harder. But we are finding that softer wheels are taking the lead in this application. These wheels are produced with a super high rebound material that solves the dolly wheel problems. If the wheels are slightly staggered the results are unbelievable.

DollyWheelMan (Ray Perry)