Cable Dolly

mrbill762

I am constructing a cable dolly for my XL2, thought I would post an image and get some comments.

Heres my slightly larger design, check out the photo albums on my web site for more pics of the rig and video from it.

Steve

http://www.sky-line.ca

ds-beacher1_300.jpg

Edited by steve@sky-line.ca

mrbill....very cool. I want to try it now also! to both of you, out of curiosity, how do you compensate for the "dip" when the cam is out in the middle of the cable....do you just use it to the shots advantage or do you just make the cable tight as hell to eliminate as much dip as possible?

Also, mrbill, how do you get your cam from one side to the other? Pull it with an additional cable?

Very cool, guys....I always forget about cable-cams. I'm antsy to try a DIY now...thanks for the spark!

mrbill....very cool. I want to try it now also! to both of you, out of curiosity, how do you compensate for the "dip" when the cam is out in the middle of the cable....do you just use it to the shots advantage or do you just make the cable tight as hell to eliminate as much dip as possible?

Also, mrbill, how do you get your cam from one side to the other? Pull it with an additional cable?

Very cool, guys....I always forget about cable-cams. I'm antsy to try a DIY now...thanks for the spark!

The secret is not using cable, there are synthetic ropes much stronger, lighter and less stretch. Over 600' with 150 lbs in the middle I have less than 5' of sag at full tension. The Pic over the falls has about 10' over 500' and we were running about 1/2 our max tension.

As for getting the cam back and forth this system uses another line and an electric motor for travel and can reach speeds up to 30 mph on the flat.

There are 3 shots from my system in the trailer for "In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale"

see if you can pick them out.

Steve, the wheels that sit on the cable are powered by motors, right?

No, powered by a seperate line with a large electric motor

Where did you buy them?

Specialty item

How much is a remote head?

Scorpio head is worth around 3-400k. I don't think you can buy them, I sub-rent this one from all-axis remote heads in Vancouver,BC. There are cheaper ones for around a 100k. I am in the slow process of trying to build my own right now.

Are you a welder?

I only weld steel and not by trade. I built the jig for this rig contracted out the "tig'ing".

Edited by steve@sky-line.ca