Film then HD?

Brant Collins

I love the new Battlestar Galactica. I was in the Navy on Submarines and this show makes space travel feel real(Enterprise did a good job too) the way it will most likely be. The story and characters of Battlestar keep me excited about watching the show. I like the way and style it is shot, but I watched the production videos on their website and wonder why they switched to HD. They shot the first season on film but have switched to HD video? They talk about how they are pushing the technology.I love the show either way, the content is so good I get too into the show to judge the image technically. Just wonder if the choice was look, ease of use or cost?

cost is definitely an issue. and the quality is there for HD, especially since it's broadcast material.

I guess it will depend on the equipment and the post-prod. they will need a semi-complete workflow change.

• Premium Member

The director & DP's main objection to switching to HD is that the series was supposed to look gritty, and they had pushed the film stock on the original mini-series to get a grainier look. They weren't sure how they were going to get that texture if they shot in HD.