Whose using Xenons?

Bob Hayes

I've started using xenons to get nice clean shafts of light. I am really impressed with their punch and evenness. There is also a soft gentle quality to the beams that I don't see in a HMI 6k Par with a spot lens. I'd love to here other peoples experiences with Xenons. Also do I need to use mirrors when pointing straight down? I know I used to.

• Premium Member

I like the quality of xenon sources, but I have been mainly using HMI Mole Beams in their place - they are less temperamental and cheaper. I find the quality of light to be very similar.

I was always told to use mirrors whenever placing a xenon source at an extreme or odd angle, so I would say yes you probably should use mirrors.

Kevin Zanit

Guest Alexandre Lucena

I was wondering if anyone has ever tested the automobile xenon beam. I am planning on a simple set up.

Get someone to sit in front of a car in day light, and light his face using the car]s beam. If anyone has done

it already I would be glad if you could post pictures of the result. Thanks in advance.

Alexandre.

• Premium Member

I like to use Xenons when they'll pay for one - the only problem is that they bounce or sway too easily and make the pattern vibrate, like when reflecting the sun with a mirror. Maybe Molebeams would do less of that.

Nothing like a Xenon for getting the effect of rays of sunlight.

I love xenons. For sharp shafts of light with a lot of punch, nothing beats them. Several years ago I was involved in lighting 4 blocks of Beale Street in Memphis for a live New Year's Eve broadcast (It was an enormous set up). I think that we had 6 xenons (a pair of 2k's, 4k's, 7k's) in addition to dozens of other large tunsten and HMI sources. We used the 4K's to hit a 36" mirror ball that was hanging over the street and it looked awesome. Spinning specular light was all over downtown Memphis. I wish that I had some photos of it.

As for the mirror, you are correct. Use a mirror when the light is tilted to extreme angles and be concious of the mirror's distance from the unit. Closer is better with xenons. I'm sure that you know how hot the beam can get at certain distances from the light. I witnessed an electricians baseball cap start to smoulder while the tip of his head was in the beam of light. It was funny...after everyone realized that he wasn't injured.

Changing xenon bulbs is a very hazardous job. Be sure whoever is changing the bulbs is wearing a face shield and heavy duty gloves. The bulbs can explode violently.

Respectfully,

Jeff

• Premium Member
I've started using xenons to get nice clean shafts of light. I am really impressed with their punch and evenness. There is also a soft gentle quality to the beams that I don't see in a HMI 6k Par with a spot lens. I'd love to here other peoples experiences with Xenons. Also do I need to use mirrors when pointing straight down? I know I used to.

Xenon lamps are definitely rated for operation at only certain angles. Otherwise the plasma becomes unstable.

As most of you know, xenon lamps are the primary lightsource used for theatrical projection, and pretty much have taken over the spotlight market from carbon arc.

Here is an excellent technical manual that discusses xenon lamp operating parameters:

http://ecom.mysylvania.com/miniapps/FileNe...ENGR_BLTN11.pdf

http://www.osram.com/pdf/service_corner/XENON-SHORT-ARC.pdf

And a safety manual:

http://smad-ext.grc.nasa.gov/gso/manual/chapter_26.pdf

Remember, if you handle a xenon lamp without proper eye protection, it may be the last thing you will ever see!