Shooting music concerts

Recently I shot a concert at a local bar where fledgling musicians perform and get some publicity for themselves. I did this at the request of one of the performing artists but I shot the whole show. Am I able to sell a finished DVD product from this show without getting sued?

At the very least I'd ask the other bands for permission and get it -- preferably in writing. And given that we're not legal experts here, I'd consult a intellectual property rights lawyer about what exactly has to be covered on that piece of paper.

At the very least I'd ask the other bands for permission and get it -- preferably in writing. And given that we're not legal experts here, I'd consult a intellectual property rights lawyer about what exactly has to be covered on that piece of paper.

Thanks Mr. Chieney! I had gotten written permissions before hand on a VERY comprehensive release form. I had thought that would cover it but I was unsure whether or not there was something "extra" I could do.

• Premium Member

If the bands are performing their own music, you need to get a written release for that from them too. If it is published music, you need to clear rights (and likely pay a royalty) for that music. So if the band is playing a Beatles or song, you need to contact the rights owner of the music.