lighting shadow

shane-grace

hi all,

have to create the shadow of a person running to be projected on a wall created by a flash of lightning....

the person running is not seen - just thier shadow on the wall....

(hope this makes sense)

will be using HDV

was told to use strobes but i think they will be too fast to render any recognisable shadow...

is this at all possible or should i suggest "they do it in post"

thanks in advance

Shane Grace

• Premium Member

Well, the concept is a bit odd in terms of seeing someone running only during the flash -- I suppose a couple of quick flashes in a row would be enough time to see the movement. You could use metal venetian blind shutters on a large HMI and manually flash the light.

Thanks for your replies.

David, here in Jakarta they dont have that accessory :(

Andres, the director doesn't want to do it in post :(

Have been told a rental house here has a "Lightning Machine" - whatever that is. i have been

told its so powerfull it needs its own generator.... i will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

• Premium Member
what about a flash unit from stills photography?

Too fast. He needs a burst (or several) long enough to see a shadow moving on a wall.

I'm amazed that he can get an expensive Lightning Strikes unit (which I've never been able to afford) but can't get some cheap metal blinds for an HMI at his rental house.

Guest shane grace

Hi - the shoot went ok - didnt get the lighning strikes unit as it was over the productions budget ($700 US per day)

Yep, trying to find simple things like metal blinds are very difficult and time consuming in Indonesia.....but high tech rental equipment is everywhere here.....

So I ordered some strobes - but they never arrived (things can be very casual on TVC shoots here :) )

So...... they will do it in post!!!! - nobody seemed too fussed....

I really would have liked to see how that lightning strikes machine works.... oh well - maybe next time....

Thanks anyway!

SHANE