Film Storage

Guest Will Norman

Guest dbledwn11

i've still got 400ft of film i shot left in its mag. been there for a couple of days in generally cold temperatures - is it still gonna be alright? i'm gonna unload it tonight, but wanted to check that once its back in the can is it alright to leave it in a standard fridge for storage or does it have to be a very specific temperature???

many thanks

• Premium Member
i've still got 400ft of film i shot left in its mag. been there for a couple of days in generally cold temperatures - is it still gonna be alright? i'm gonna unload it tonight, but wanted to check that once its back in the can is it alright to leave it in a standard fridge for storage or does it have to be a very specific temperature???

many thanks

Hi,

A normal fridge is fine for 6 months. Fast films have a much shorter shelf life. than slow films For long term storage a deep freeze is good, but I don't recomend freezing short ends.

Stephen

many thanks

In a regular fridge though isn't the RH a potential problem?

I do store my color negative in the fridge but I also shoot a lot of black and white reversal and negative. Do I need to refridgerate that? I thought I read on the Kodak site that it required 70 degrees, which is what it generally is in my apartment.

Steven

In a regular fridge though isn't the RH a potential problem?
Don't bring film in from a hot humid tropical atmosphere straight into the fridge. If it's like that outside, keep the film in normal room conditions for a day or two to settle (if it's airconditioned, then it's dry, which is good), then you can safely put it in the fridge.