Low Budget 35mm

Stephanie Zimmer

Hey,

What do you guys think about the marketplace for low budget 35mm work? Does it still exist? Or is it turning over to video/16mm.

Thinking about investing in rig but I'm not sure if the time has past for these jobs. Also thinking about investing in Varicam or SDX900.

If anyone has any opinions about choosing the best investment at this time, let me know. Thanks for your time.

• Premium Member
Hey,

What do you guys think about the marketplace for low budget 35mm work? Does it still exist? Or is it turning over to video/16mm.

Thinking about investing in rig but I'm not sure if the time has past for these jobs. Also thinking about investing in Varicam or SDX900.

If anyone has any opinions about choosing the best investment at this time, let me know. Thanks for your time.

Hi,

Don't look at buying equipment as an investment.

If your film is for cinema release then shooting 35mm is probably the cheapest option.

Stephen

I would defintely hold back from purchasing any HD equipment unless you absolutly need is immediate since Panasonic just releast new P2 equipment and Sony just came our with the F900R and XDCAM HD series. Best to let things settle a little and see how things perform in the the field.

Have you considered shooting s16mm? There are tons of cameras around to be had much cheaper than an HD camera. If you can cut your shooting ratio down to 400minutes the film, processing, dv work tape, and HD final telecine would cost around 10,000 (for 100minute feature) This HD cut can be used at festival and if a distributor wants to do a theatrical release (costly option for them anyways) they can use your original negatives for 35mm blowup, or DI to 35mm.

I just muddied over the same choice your looking at for my new feature "In Search of the

Armageddon Chronicles" Looking at the relative costs of getting quality HD gear up here, I was still paying too much. So I decided to go s16. The whole feature is going to cost between 15-20K (plus defered pay for various crafts people) You would be lucky to get a High Def feature for under that, considering a week of a varicam will run $3000 at least. a short 20 day shoot will cost more than the film option.) I have basicly all summer to get my movie, shooting on weekends and free to wait for weather to co-operate (I have a great deal lined up on a camera, giving me huge flexibility in scheduling.)

I agree with the above post. Go Super16. You can get really good deals and with the new stocks available, it can look really nice. If you ask a film distributor what medium they prefer, they'll still tell you: first - 35mm, second - Super16, third - HD, and absolutely NOOOOO DV. Super 16 is cheaper than 35 and HD, so the choice seems pretty simple.

RBG

Ryan Barton-Grimley