Power problem

Guest Retrogorilla

• Premium Member
He only has to pay for shipping the camera back to me. I shall pay for sending the repaired camera to him.

Retrogorilla has bought the camera, knowing that due to the age no warranty was included. This is what the description of my eBay auction said. It simply is not possible to give a warranty for a camera which is over 25 years old. There are no fresh replacement parts available any more and if you fix one fault it is very likely that another fault is occurring only a week later. By the way, PayPal has told me that Retrogorilla will have to send the camera back, before he will get a refund, if he will get a refund at all. This is the risk when buying a camera overseas: The buyer has to pay the shipping fees for sending the packet back.

If you want a warranty I suggest buying a mini dv camcorder at a local retailer.

I think there is a solution for future camera sales. Instead of the buyer not buying the 25 year old camera and buying a mini-dv camcorder at a local retailer as has been suggested by Heinze, why not you, Heinz, videotape the actual testing process you did with the super-8 camera before you shipped it. Include a close up of the serial number AND no stopping and starting, just let the camcorder run. Better to use an NTSC camcorder for the US market.

Then simply drop the $3.00 tape into the box with the camera to be shipped.

I think there is a solution for future camera sales. Instead of the buyer not buying the 25 year old camera and buying a mini-dv camcorder at a local retailer as has been suggested by Heinze, why not you, Heinz, videotape the actual testing process you did with the super-8 camera before you shipped it. Include a close up of the serial number AND no stopping and starting, just let the camcorder run. Better to use an NTSC camcorder for the US market.

Then simply drop the $3.00 tape into the box with the camera to be shipped.

This is a very good idea, indeed and I will do that in the future. It is very easy to convert the PAL videotape to a MPEG movie, burn this movie to a CD or DVD and include it in the packet to be sent. Unfortunately this does not help much if the camera will be damaged during shipment.

I am selling super8mm cameras from time to time and I always test them before shipment. I put new batteries in the camera to be tested, check if light meter, film transportation at all speeds, lap dissolve (if availabel) and motor zoom are running perfectly. For these tests I always install a Kodachrome 40 film cartride. If all the tests have been positive, I list the camera on eBay, saying that ithas been tested but that I can not offer any warranty because of the age of the camera. This results in a lower price (retrogorilla paid US$ 265 for the BAUER S 715 XL which really is a fair price).

If anything is not working properly during the test procedure I always send my cameras to the authorized Bauer / Nizo repair and service shop Kurt Schacherl in Olching (near Munich in Germany), get the camera fixed and fully serviced and then list it on eBay saying that it has been fully serviced. This is all I can do and with the exception of retrogorilla and the other guy he mentioned I never had problems with other buyers.

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner

"The jerk"

Guest Retrogorilla

The fact that you (say you) check the cameras out beforehand is hardly deserving of a medal or anything. It's pretty much the least you could do, actually.

It's your "Too bad for you, Mr. Buyer" policy of the merchandise that you sell that really is the problem.

Anyhow, you're as bad as businessman as you would suggest - your reputation on here is taking a beating and you're just costing yourself money in the long run by tracking me down and arguing with me on-line.

"this is all I can do and with the exception of retrogorilla and the other guy he mentioned I never had problems with other buyers."

AND the person who just left negative feedback a few days ago causing you to change your eBay feedback rating from public to private...what about that person, Heinz?

DO NOT BUY A CAMERA FROM THIS JERK!

AND the person who just left negative feedback a few days ago causing you to change your eBay feedback rating from public to private...what about that person, Heinz?

DO NOT BUY A CAMERA FROM THIS JERK!

I think you are the jerk - just too dumb to get a camera working.

By the way - everything has been said from my side and the other nice people in this forum here are knowing my opinion. Retrogorilla seems to be one of the less intelligent people - this is what his manners are showing.

Edited by uncle.scrooge.mc.duck

• Premium Member
This is a very good idea, indeed and I will do that in the future. It is very easy to convert the PAL videotape to a MPEG movie, burn this movie to a CD or DVD and include it in the packet to be sent. Unfortunately this does not help much if the camera will be damaged during shipment.

Actually it does help immensely, because it gives the buyer piece of mind that the camera actually worked before shipping, and it will give you proof that can even be posted on the internet if necessary. Standard shipping practice is to wrap the super-8 camera completely in bubblewrap, then sealing the bubblewrap somewhat tightly with tape. Next is filling the shipping box with styrofoam peanuts and then the bubblewrapped camera goes inside. If the box is sturdy, this should pretty much eliminate shipping damage except for the puncture wound variety usually caused by a fork lift, yeesh!.

I am selling super8mm cameras from time to time and I always test them before shipment. I put new batteries in the camera to be tested, check if light meter, film transportation at all speeds, lap dissolve (if availabel) and motor zoom are running perfectly. For these tests I always install a Kodachrome 40 film cartride. If all the tests have been positive, I list the camera on eBay, saying that ithas been tested but that I can not offer any warranty because of the age of the camera. This results in a lower price (retrogorilla paid US$ 265 for the BAUER S 715 XL which really is a fair price).

Excellent point, that is a low price for a Bauer for the S 715 XL. If only you had proof it was working when it left your place, you'd be completely in the clear. I'm not doubting that you did not do the testing, it's just not proveable at this point in time.

If anything is not working properly during the test procedure I always send my cameras to the authorized Bauer / Nizo repair and service shop Kurt Schacherl in Olching (near Munich in Germany), get the camera fixed and fully serviced and then list it on eBay saying that it has been fully serviced. This is all I can do and with the exception of retrogorilla and the other guy he mentioned I never had problems with other buyers.

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner

That seems pretty legitimate. Hopefully the camera has been shipped back to you properly after being serviced.

Guest Retrogorilla

Well Heinz, call me 'rude' or 'too stupid' or whatever. I think a far worse thing in life is to be is someone who takes advantage of others, which is who you are.

For the sake of argument, even if you did check the camera and it was working and it arrived DOA, the fact of the matter is...YOU JUST DON'T CARE.

You refuse to take any responsibility and forced me (even suggesting to me) to go to Paypal.

Now, to process my complaint, I have to pay even more $$ to have someone estimate a repair cost and a great hassle and time expense go and get all the paper work done.

So go ahead and compliment everyone else on here and suck up to them...I'll be getting as much as I can back from you, loser.

Guest Retrogorilla

I appreciate your offer Allesandro - I live in Canada, btw.

Unfortunately, I have just 10 days in which to get it inspected and file the papers to Paypal before the claim is nulified. Sending it off anywhere would be impossible or at the least, very expensive due to having to use a courier service.

I have luckily found a qualified shop in the city in which I live and will be taking it in tomorrow.

• Premium Member
I appreciate your offer Allesandro - I live in Canada, btw.

Unfortunately, I have just 10 days in which to get it inspected and file the papers to Paypal before the claim is nulified. Sending it off anywhere would be impossible or at the least, very expensive due to having to use a courier service.

I have luckily found a qualified shop in the city in which I live and will be taking it in tomorrow.

Ask if the tech would be willing to do a one minute once over while you wait just in case there was something quirky about the camera that made it not fire up.

Guest Retrogorilla

Wow Heinz....must have been QUITE the trick to have had that camera running before you shipped it off to me!

Heard back from the repair shop today - it's literally almost beyond repair. Quite the coincidence, JUST like Tanner's!

Thanks for putting me through such a hassle and lying to me every step of the way.

Wow Heinz....must have been QUITE the trick to have had that camera running before you shipped it off to me!

Heard back from the repair shop today - it's literally almost beyond repair. Quite the coincidence, JUST like Tanner's!

Thanks for putting me through such a hassle and lying to me every step of the way.

What did they say was wrong with it?

Mark

Guest Retrogorilla

Won't get the full details until Monday (I came home to a phone message about it), but both mechanical and electronic problems.

Essentially, just about everything from the sounds of it.

• Premium Member
Won't get the full details until Monday (I came home to a phone message about it), but both mechanical and electronic problems.

Essentially, just about everything from the sounds of it.

Lets not lose of the big picture here. For the technician to say there are a lot of problems almost sounds like they got the camera to run on some level, otherwise how would they know what was wrong if they can't even power up the camera?

So the two separate issues are how messed up is the camera AND could the camera have passed basic testing modes and still be messed up.

Guest Retrogorilla

I know you might be wanting to give Heinz the benefit of the doubt here Alessandro, but based on the repair estimate, I'd be better off searching for a new camera. The other fellow I refer to who bought a Bauer 715 from Heinz had the same problem, he brought it in to Spectra and they said it was 'unfixable'.

It's HIGHLY unlikely that the tech could get it running at all, but I will ask when I go in. Sounds like it needs a virtual overhaul and has some serious problems.

My suspicion is that Heinz picked up a bunch of these cameras on the cheap and either was deliberately selling them off as 'Mint and fully functioning' or never bothered to check them based on their cosmetic appearance. At any rate, I was more put off by his crap attitude towards my concerns. I think he is a poor eBay seller and have no hesitation in recommending people stay away from purchasing cameras from him.

Hello,

this is TOTALLY unbelievable. How can it be that almost everything is supposed to be defective if the camera was fully working when I tested it here myself? It is very easy to say that a camera is defective beyond repair, if the repair shop can not even get it to power up.

Each time I have received a defective camera from a seller, I sent it to a repair shop here in Germany named Kurt Schacherl in Olching/Munich. Mr. Schacherl has been fully trained by BAUER at the time they were producing super8mm cameras and projectors. Later BAUER bought BRAUN/NIZO and continued to sell BAUER and BRAUN/NIZO together. Thus Mr. Schacherl has been trained to repair and service BAUER and BRAUN/NIZO cameras and projectors. Mr. Schacherl really knows every single BAUER and NIZO camera model by heart and he was always able to fix these cameras for me.

I have several invoices from Mr. Schacherl here, which are NEVER exceeding the price of US$ 200 for the repair of a BAUER S 715 XL or BAUER S 709 XL, regardless what has been defective. Thus it is really unbelievable that the repair of Tanner's BAUER S 715 XL should cost more than US$ 1000. This is complete nonsense. I talked with Mr. Schacherl on the matter of Retrogorillas S 715 XL and asked him what could be defective. He told me that it is possible that one of the power cables, which are located inside the hand grip has been ripped off during shipment, which would explain why the camera did function when I tested it. The solderings of these cables are very thin and due to the age it can always happen that they get broken.

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner

Germany

Edited by uncle.scrooge.mc.duck

By the way: I have sold many cameras and projectors on eBay in the past and until a year ago, I ALWAYS sent the cameras I received to Mr. Schacherl to get them fully serviced and checked, before I listed them on eBay. This checkup and service did cost me about US$ 100 to US$ 150 for each camera, depending if there was something defective or not. These costs had to be added to the price I wanted to receive for the camera on eBay and I had to sell a fully serviced and checked BAUER S 715 XL for US$ 400 and more.

As I can tell you from my past dealings, nobody wants to pay this price nowadays, even for a fully serviced camera. Thus today I check the cameras myself and sell them for lower prices. If I find any faults during this checkup, I state them in my description on eBay or send the camera to Mr. Schacherl and get it fixed. If everything is working flawlessly, I list the camera on eBay, without giving any warranty. How can I give a warranty if a camera is not fully serviced - these cameras are over 25 years old.

Further most of my customers are not even willing to pay for AIRMAIL shipment and then they are bothering me if it takes 4 weeks for a packet to arrive. This shows that most people (especially foreign buyers) do not want to spend a reasonable price but rather get their items CHEAP.

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner

Germany

• Premium Member

The internet has become a sort of Wall Street of purchasing. Most everyone looks for the cheapest possible price almost as if they were buying shares of stock in a company.

I believe if you incorporated my idea of a DVD of the actual camera being serviced or repaired on a DVD for the buyer to see for themselves that their camera was properly serviced, people would be more comfortable paying more for the camera. Sometimes giving a personality to the servicing of a camera helps those who cannot "walk in" a camera for servicing themsevles.

As for keeping shipping costs reduced, I did make a suggestion on my forum about that topic...

http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimateb...ic/f/405/t/1437

Guest Retrogorilla

Well, I'm pretty bored with this back and forth with Heinz. Paypal has the repair estimate and since this is now a legal matter, I don't want to talk about it until it is resolved.

I don't really agree with his assessment that here is no market for serviced cameras. I certainly would never buy one that stated ' as is' condition. I've since bought another Buaer S 715 XL that's been fully serviced, guaranteed to arrive in working condition and comes with a 90 day guarantee for just $50 or so more dollars than what Heinz was charging and even got the original case to go with it.

Yeah, there'll be people who want cheap, but what's wrong with that? The sellers should clearly state 'NOT TESTED AND AS IS' on their listing then. I do not think it's fair to have the buyer assume all the risk unless something like that is clearly defined.

• Premium Member
Yeah, there'll be people who want cheap, but what's wrong with that? The sellers should clearly state 'NOT TESTED AND AS IS' on their listing then. I do not think it's fair to have the buyer assume all the risk unless something like that is clearly defined.

Normally, there is nothing wrong with wanting cheap, but normally that would imply a product that is going through refinements and updates, new models coming out to replace older models. With Super-8, there may never be another super-8 camera made, so it seems better for all if the super-8 cameras that are being used don't get unnecessarily abused.

Some might argue that not servicing super-8 cameras so that they get ruined quicker may actually be a good thing, as the market for working super-8 cameras dwindles, it migh motivate someone to make a new Super-8 camera. I don't agree with that consensus because the breakdown of unserviced Super-8 cameras at crucial points will turn more and more people off from the super-8 format. The super cheap unserviced Super-8 camera harms the entire pricing structure of Super-8 cameras because basically it's a lie, it's really not that cheap if the camera has yet to be serviced, it will cost the filmmaker either a film shoot OR the price to bring up the camera to service spec.

Bravo Germany for still having a Super-8 repair industry. Once those Super-8 cameras come to the United States via eBay auctions, the odds they will be properly serviced in the United States dramatically decreases.