DIGITAL CAMERA?? HAVENT A CLUE!!!

Guest JonathanSmith

Guest JonathanSmith

Hi there!! Im very new to this site so i havent had time to search through the very informative posts but here goes. Im from London studying Film at University and im thinking of purchasing my own digital camera to start filming my own short films. I have a budget of £4000 to spend and i have not a clue what to get. Alot of people have said yeah why dont you spend the cash on a couple of short films instead of a camera but id rather buy a camera and learn from my mistakes and experiment. These are the following cameras im thinking of but i have no experience with whats good and whats bad and whats good for price wise. Please post your ideas about the cameras, and post any alternatives if you can please. Thanks again!!

JVC GY-HD101

Sony DSR-250P

Sony DSR-PD170P

Cheers

John

I highly suggest going for the DVX or PD-170 at that budget. Remember however, if you are planning on shooting in any low light the PD 170 will fail miserably unless you are well equipt with expensive fill light to keep the exposure in check. The DVX is decent but in my opinion, does not give the user enough control over color variables and small exposure adjustments. If you have the time and the means, earn one more thousand, (on ebay perhaps less) and buy an XL 2.