Two Monitors

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Just wondering, I've used a KVM switch to connect up two monitors to a computer, but how about when you want an editing system like premiere or avid on one monitor, and the video footage on the second monitor?

The only logicial way I can think of is two have two video cards, and setup the editing system to output the video on the secondary VGA device.

How do you guys do it?

Thanks,

Dan.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

I have always just used standard windows dual screen tech. Either with 2 video cards or one that has a dual head (which most do these days) and then I strech premiere into both screens, and dedicate one to the monitor window. That doesnt mean the video plays full screen, but even in HDV my screens resolution is high enough that I can watch it without any scaling.

It used to be in the days of analog capture the cards that basicly made editing on a 350mhz machine possible, they would have an output. Im not entirely sure how they worked, but they latched on to any video that was being playing in either premiere or whatever program they were compatible with and would show it full screen.

Now adays if I want a full NTSC preview I have a digital converter box that changes 1394 into composite signal that I can watch on a calibrated monitor.

If you are using Windows dual desktop and if you edit your footage in Vegas, you can choose which one of the two monitors will be your full screen preview and this setup works very well, but you may use second display better to put the rest of editing tools on it, and keep video preview in it's original size. It will speed up your editing.

Cheers,

Alex