Help wanted: A cinematographer's pitch

Megan Mills

I am a film student, currently in my third year of film studies at Ryerson University in Toronto. I am working as DOP on an upcoming project but before production starts the class is having a pitching competition. We are not pitching story ideas (all the scripts have already been approved), we are pitching our execution ideas. As DOP I will be presenting things like lighting diagrams, film stock possibilities, stills from other films that I am inspired by...etc.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how I could make my presentation more exciting, not just a lot of dry information about lights and cameras that the average person wouldn't be interested in.

If anyone has any personal experiences with great pitches that they could share I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! - Megan

• Premium Member

Never had to pitch my self, but had many students pitching before me.

If you plan to light a precise project, of wich you've read the script, I would awaiting your choices serve the script. How did the reading made you make what choices etc.

Show your interest and culture on the enlighted subject etc.

Also, if you had discussions with the writer or the further director and could have make choices together already ?

(see what I mean ? sorry for my bad english...)