Solstice -- Prep

• Premium Member

I'm leaving town on Tuesday to begin four weeks of prep on a feature called "Solstice". I'm shooting in Louisiana, outside of New Orleans, in similar locations to what I scouted for "Texas Lullabye" just a month ago.

The film is being directed by Dan Myrick, one of the creators of "Blair Witch Project". It's about college students in a summer house with a supernatural mystery going on (it's a remake of a Scandinavian movie.)

Budget is smaller than "Texas Lullabye" was but in this case, my idea to shoot in 2.35 using 3-perf and a D.I. is being taken seriously. Mostly a low-light night movie, so anamorphic seemed too unwieldly to suggest. It will be tough with an only 25-day shooting schedule. With a large cast and a 114 page script, I figure that it will have to use a 2-camera shooting style.

Initial talks with the director favor a natural light look so I'm thinking of ways to keep the day scenes simple in terms of lighting. But there are a lot of night exteriors to figure out how to light.

• Premium Member

Congratulations on the latest project David. I'm curious, do you know the name of the Scandinavian original this story is based on? Will you watch it as part of your preparation?

Incidentally, kudos on your feature in the "ASC Close-Up" section of the March '06 American Cinematographer!

It's a remake of a Swedish film called "Midsommar", not released in the U.S. on DVD yet (so I haven't seen it.)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0339385/

David: Just where around New Orleans are you going to be? I might be down there finishing a documentary project this coming week, and would love to meet you in person.

Regards.

~Karl Borowski

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Any more news from this production yet David? I think i speak on behalf of everyone in saying how much we enjoy your production diaries and the time you spend sharing your knowledge.

Cheers.

We shot for one day on Friday, then Day Two was today, Monday. We did this because we were scheduled for five 5-day weeks, but Good Friday is a holiday, so we only work four days on that week.

So at the end of this week, we'll have completed our first week and I'll probably make a report.

All I can say so far is that the schedule is incredibly tight -- today we did 50 set-ups in a 12-hour day. Which always impresses everyone... but personally, it's always a bad sign when you have to shoot that many set-ups per day just to cover what's on the call sheet.

• Premium Member
All I can say so far is that the schedule is incredibly tight -- today we did 50 set-ups in a 12-hour day.

Only 50 set-ups in one day! What did you do with the rest of your free time? (Is this the super 35 project you were referring to?)

• Premium Member
Only 50 set-ups in one day! What did you do with the rest of your free time? (Is this the super 35 project you were referring to?)

I'm not quite sure if you're joking but if not, you've probably never worked with a crew of more than 10 people and 10 lights. From my experience, even if the cinematographer and his team was super fast, actors and directors wouldn't be quick enough to handle more than 50 set-ups in one day.

• Premium Member
I'm not quite sure if you're joking but if not, you've probably never worked with a crew of more than 10 people and 10 lights. From my experience, even if the cinematographer and his team was super fast, actors and directors wouldn't be quick enough to handle more than 50 set-ups in one day.

It would be Herculean to do 50 setups in one day with NO lights and a crew of two. C'mon, of course I was joking.

• Premium Member
It would be Herculean to do 50 setups in one day with NO lights and a crew of two. C'mon, of course I was joking.

Good, I just about lost faith in you :unsure: . There were no fancy emoticons behind what you said but whatever, I should lighten up a little.