Super 8 problem

Tim Myers

I just bought a Canon 814 xls for 600 dollars. It was supposedly sold in like new / working / serviced condition. Last weekend I put some ektachrome 64 in it and pulled the trigger to start filming and it started going for maybe a second or two, then it stopped. I pulled the trigger again and nothing happened. Pulled it again and got a little sputter. Another trigger pull and it worked for a few seconds, then died again. Now it won't go at all. Any ideas? I have a project due in two weeks and am stressing out over this. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

• Premium Member
I just bought a Canon 814 xls for 600 dollars. It was supposedly sold in like new / working / serviced condition. Last weekend I put some ektachrome 64 in it and pulled the trigger to start filming and it started going for maybe a second or two, then it stopped. I pulled the trigger again and nothing happened. Pulled it again and got a little sputter. Another trigger pull and it worked for a few seconds, then died again. Now it won't go at all. Any ideas? I have a project due in two weeks and am stressing out over this. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Note how many feet have run through the film cartridge, than take the film out. Next see if the camera will run with no film in it. With the trigger depressed see if the camera runs intermittently as you rotate the camera vertically. Point the lens straight towards the ground, slowly pan up to the sky, see if the camera either starts or stops while doing this.

Also, the dial that has a 10-10 and 20-20 setting, those are timer settings, meaning the camera waits for 10 seconds, then stops, or runs for 20 seconds, then stops.

If the film cartridge has jammed, or is at the end of the cartridge, that too will cause the camera to turn off after a couple of seconds.

i believe your problem is this: cartridge film loop slack.

those Canons - i assume the 814 is similar to the 1014 is this aspect - will detect "end of cart" if there is a big loose loop on the take-up side inside the cartridge.

my 2 e 64Ts so far both came with a big slack and the cam stopped like yours. (actually nice with a cam that tells you of that problem!)

remedy: take out the cart and wind up the slack - gently. if is turns very easily at first there is a slack.

by the moment the take up reel stops - don turn any further or else - in worst case - you can damage the film.

there is a big difference in tension between slack (no resistanse at all) and no slack - "hard" so you cant miss it if you are a bit careful.

taking up the slack is a very old PRO "secret" and should always be done with any cart to make it function properly - with any cam.

take up the slack and try again.

if this is not the problem Alex´suggestions is next.

battery condition check is another option.

another ol´ dirty "secret"; always film a second or 2 of your business card at the beginning of each film in case it gets lost or someting during proccessing, transfer or else.

s8hôôt

Edited by S8 Booster