Low Cost HD System

Guest Pete Wright

I would be very afraid to look at a 40-foot-wide digital projection from an industrial camera with 35mm still optics captured via some backyard groundglass "adapter".

The pictures might look good on a little onboard LCD, but that's probably the only place...

Just my 2c.

Mitch Gross wrote:

I liken it to the simple movement of a film camera. It is basically a Singer sewing machine.

When the Bauer company, manufacturer of professional and home movie equipment for more than 65 years, decided to close down their own production lines for 35mm cinema projectors and Super 8 equipment, they had the problem that schools, military and educational institutions still bought many Bauer 16mm projectors.

So they decided to outsource production of their popular Bauer P8 and T400 HTI-lamp 16mm models, and guess who had the knowhow to take over - it was a manufacturer of sewing machines (don't remember if it was Singer or Pfaff).

:)

BTW, a Konvas 35mm camera without mags attached sounds remarkably like a sewing machine to me... ;)

Regarding the use of wrong names on the forum: Some guys think they are so clever, but their style of writing, preaching and putting up equipment listings in a slightly manic way always gives away the trick...

It's really common - not just in this thread or even this site - but in discussions across the world to focus on the "boy if I could just get a camera, I could make a movie!"

In the ounce of reality, I have to bring up something. There are DV films being done by people who know how to make movies for $150,000, 200,000. So... that money certainly didn't go into the camera and stock. There are so many costs associated with the process of filmmaking that add up fast. I'm not saying this to be a fantasy stealer either, but just to put an ounce of reality into the dream so people can be better prepared....

Here's just a sample of what I mean - let's say you and your friends work for free. You'll probably have to feed them. Maybe you'll need some location that isn't one of your friends homes. Insurance fees, filming fees (for the public locations you can't steal maybe). Etc.

But then in post. Okay - you can put together your own final cut pro stystem, but that does cost a significant amount once you have all the drives and such. But that's still in the thousands - and this stuff outdates in about the time of a editorial process.

What about sound? Sound is a huge factor. Maybe you know how to do it right, but then - with just one person, that takes a long time and you'll need equipment for that - and a foley stage (if not the foley artist) - okay - so you mix in your living room, it's been done.

visual effects? you don't need 'em? okay, make sure you don't have to fix anything like replace the name of a magazine for errors and ommissions.

My point is simply that there is a lot of money I probably listed 40,000 off right there, but it could easily go north of there. I've just watched too many good people get their movies shot and then realize that there is a lot more expense. I've watched two filmmakers start with 30,000 budgets in mind and end up spending over 200,000 each. And these people knew movies.

That said. DO IT! ;) Seriously, I really look forward to seeing great and unique cinema experiences from all over the world - I just want them to actually get finished so they CAN make it to the theaters.

I guess my point in the end is... certain cameras can give you the freedom to move quickly and shoot fast, or get the impossible shot, or strap it to the hood of a car, or capture the deepest richest image ever seen - different cameras give different freedoms, but the only thing that can give you the freedom to make a film is you and it starts with something to share, not a camera. It's fine to be curious about what tools will come around - I sure am - just don't get miopic.

So, give yourself permission to get from here to there and don't get caught up in all the technicalities along the way. Worry about that on your second feature when there's a budget. A viper might be worth 100 times more than a pd150, but passion is worth 100 times more than the viper. With the right story, the means will come to you, people will be drawn in to help realize your passion.

oh - and have fun.

Mark

• Premium Member

Hi,

As regards all this independent filmmaking chatter, I find the most valuable realisation is to write something shootable. Rodriguez was right when he said shoot what you have access to. OK, so he had access to a Mexican town where he could borrow firearms from the police department, which is somewhat out of the ordinary. But especially in the US, where you have more or less every type of terrain the world has to offer within a short plane ride, the world is literally your oyster.

Phil

• Premium Member
But especially in the US, where you have more or less every type of terrain the world has to offer within a short plane ride, the world is literally your oyster.

And if your in LA you have every terrain within 50 miles.