WA adapter for 814 Auto Zoom?

Sean McHenry

Any recommendations on inexpensive WA adapters for the Canon 814 Auto Zoom? Looking at the Canon 58mm WD-58H adapter that's mostly used on DV gear. Need something a bit wider than the normal.

Anyone have a spare WA adapter they might want to let go?

Sean McHenry

Sean@DeepBlueEdit.com

Guest Ian Marks

Do you have the earlier 814 without the macro feature, or the 814 Electronic with it? If you have macro focusing, you can use almost any of the "aspheron" style wide angle adapters, such as the Nizos. I have an 814 Electronic and I have been able to fit the Schneider/Nizo, Eumig, and Century wide angle adapters by zooming to the widest angle, engaging the macro, and carefully adjusting the macro/zooming ring to obtain sharp focus. If you don't have the macro feature, your options will be more limited.

Guest Ian Marks

Be sure that the Century you're considering will work if you don't have the macro function - mine won't. I'm not familiar with the WD-58 that you mention. I also have a Canon-labeled wide angle adapter, I think with a 55mm screw-in thread, which is usable with lenses lacking a macro function. I'm holding onto it because I'm sure some day I'll find a use for it, but my understanding is that these are not terribly sharp.