Sony HD 750 vs. f900

Mdpanepinto

Ok Steven - so we can now then remark that:

a) you don´t have a source that sony is using "b-grade" optic blocks in the 750.

B) are you speculating that this might be the case or do you actually claim it?

c) opinon & heresay are no facts.

sony platinium support tells different. so do the spare parts.

avs & w/n cologne (which are independent service&repair houses for hdcam & lenses) tell different.

then, you claim that you see a difference between calibrated 750&900 - please elaborate.

as when we use both together, we first calibrate both with our astro, shoot side by side and then edit them together, we don´t even have a preference for a or b camera between the 750/900. so please fill me in what i (and the other 36 people here) don´t see.

btw - regarding the price: when we choose the 750 over the 900 back in 2003, the offer we got for the 900 was lower.

that might have to do with the fact that we have bought all the option for the 750 (colorvierfinder & extension, downconverter, slowshutter, wireless multichannel audio, imagecacheboard etc).

Also we HAD to buy a new 750 instead of a demo 900.

On the other hand, the camera is one of the cheap parts of such an invest, the NLEs did cost quite a bit more. (we bought 2 HD NLE, 2 BVM Class 1 HD Monitors, HDW 2000 VCR, some servers, Lenses, Chrosziel, Tripods etc).

We choose the 750 as it has

HD-SDI,

the Colorviewfinder (backk then not available on the 900),

was leighter,

running longer on batteries,

and extremly important for us, makes no noise, different from the old 900

and offered better creative possibilties due to the memory cache & slowshutter.

Money was reason 2, the 900 demoed gear (28 hours) would have been QUITE a bit cheaper than the 750, but it was & is the better camera for us.

We bought the gear for a 16 episode documentary-travel-show btw, all shot & postproduced in HD and one full feature, back then.

I like internet forums, but they can be often a place of bizarre myths.

HDCAM is 8 bit, not 12 or 10.

if you use HD-SDI out, you can record 10bit to disk (what we do for VFX shots & cinematic releases)

BTW: The usual HDV-Cameras have 14bit. So they have 16 times the resolution.

Guys - HDCAM records YUV 3:1:1/7:1DCT@8bit. period. All the information is remapped.

12bit or better raw WOULD be helpful, if you actually get it recorded. this isn´t the case.

2 900s or 2 750s can look completly different to each another.

one has to calibrate if you are shooting multicamera.

recently, we had a post-job and had no influence on the shooting itself. 2 900s (the old ones). both different gammas...

I agree with you deluxe,

Unless members can actually quantify "better" in technical terms, this discussion will get nowhere.

I think the answer is that those who have bought a 900 think that looks better, and those with a 750 don't need variable frame rates!

The actual technical differences between the two (when using the on board vtr ) are marginal...though the 900 looks a lot better in the flashy marketing pix!

:)