Music Video - 1st 'film' shoot

Hi guys. Quite a few of you have given me some great advice over the last month or so while I was prepping for this shoot, so I thought I'd put some frames up for you to see and comment on.

It's a girl band who are very poppy but are looking to go a bit sexier. It's shot on super 16 with an Arri SR3A. Fuji Eterna 500 stock and mostly with a number # 2 Classic Soft. I have to say, when the director presented the idea and look she was after to me, I didn't jump at it. High gloss music video's aren't really my cup of tea, but to be honest I think it was more that I was a bit intimidated that I couldn't do it!

Anyway, take a look at the frame grabs, and please feel free to be as honest as you like....

Chris.

Photos

I am all for getting work - so you gotta do what you gotta do - that said...

I think you have done a really good job! Congratulations. The set design and the DOP-ing look high production value.

I only have three minor fibbles -

the softness - this could be the MSN compression, the filter you used or the lenses but it seems just one tiny notch too soft (unless this was the look they wanted) - it is just sometimes the 3D insert backgrounds look sharper than the talent

The Hair and Make Up - doesn't seem to match the quality of the rest (unless the scrufiness was part of the brief) there are loose hairs on the girls and the make up looks a little "dry" in places

I would have tried to take the camera lower in a couple of shots - by the fuse box (it is doing a slight issue to the nose of the middle girl - but it looks like one of the girls was really taller than the others - which would have meant boxing the other 2 girls) and with the CLEA sign backlighting them - to create a more iconic "soviet hero" look B)

but it looks great and hopefully leads to high paying jobs where you can do more liberal

thanks

Rolfe

Thanks for your comments Rolfe.

The city scene behind the set is a photographic backdrop. Some of the softness I think is from where the girls are moving and the backdrop is not far enough away. Due to the size of the stage we could only get it 15' back - not enough budget for a bigger stage as well as having to build two further sets in the space.

I know what you mean with the height of the basement shot! We started off lower but had to go higher due to a problem with the set, a bit annoying.

Looking at the stills, the hair and make up doesn't look to good I would have to agree. Having seen the final cut yesterday it looked better when in motion but on occasions the backlight did highlight some stray hairs.

Glad you like the stills.

Cheers,

Chris.

Guest LondonFilmMan

Images were quite nice and the colours were 'edible'. The girls look like the sort of stuff for magazines.

However, I have several points, as follows;-

1. They simply don't arouse me. ["sexier" = "Arousing or tending to arouse sexual desire or interest"]. *HOW* can this happen if they are not even looking at *me directly* in *any* image? *I* cannot be turned on by pretty colours alone. Having said that, I do appreciate that these images are 'grabs'.

2. Should the girls squint their eyes? Shouldn't eyes, in general, remain wide open in order to allure one? (unless done in a 'Marilyn Monore way')

3. Couldn't one of those blondes be a red head? Don't you have two 'competing' blondes?

4. Clothes, whilst pretty seem to me as overly conservative for the stage. In the high street, fine. For a night club, fine. But for a pop star?

5. They strike me as hair models rather than pop stars. They look like they are posing rather than 'performing' - remember, *you* have put them on a stage.

6. No profile close-up? I mean showing all their facial features *together and clearly*?

7. Pretty shots, although on the web, somewhat dark.

8. I might want to see: Lower backs (with dimples) and a smattering of very feint hairs and slight perspiration; round plumper ass turned slightly towards me; fully glossed lips showing the tips of the two top front teeth; big dewy eyes to suggest innocence and naiveté, looking at *me*; Nice legs with a smattering of feint hair on the thighs; short skirts, feminine curves (not covered in clothing); self-support stockings?; ankle chains, freckles on nose?, and pretty faces smiling in a way that's not 'happy' as such but alluring.

All best to them and you! :D