DVX100 Timelapse

Taggart A Lee

• 4 weeks later...
Is there anyway of doing a timelapse (say, 12-24 hours) with the DVX for an output to iMovie?

I don't believe the newer DVX100b supports interval mode any longer. But the 100a does.

Although, I would highly recommend using a digital still camera and computer to capture a long timelapse. I have done timelapses with both my DVX100a and a digital camera. In the digital camera route was far easier, captured higher resolution iamges, and was far less wear and tear on my DVX.

Here's an example of a sunset I shot with my DVX:

http://www.hanskellner.com/archives/2004/1...usic_video.html

And here's a timelapse interval chart that's helpful:

http://www.chatercamera.com/downloads_file...pse%20Chart.pdf

nice, I loved the deep red in the clouds near the end. Any particular interval settings, and how long did it run for?

Thanks. Yes the sunset that evening was beautiful.

In this case I simply ran the tape live rather than use interval mode. I don't recall the total running time of the original capture but it was under an hour. I didn't use interval mode because I wanted a continuous capture to be able to play around with various rate adjustments.

• 2 weeks later...

Use digital still camera and a laptop. Most digital cameras come with software that lets you set the stop, light balance, shutter speed, and interval of the pictures taken. Depending on the quality of the digital still camera, you can vary the interval down to pretty quick like every 5 sec. You can probubly get a faster interval, but my old laptop that care enough about to leave in the rain and sticks will not grab the shots much faster. You can then import the still image sequence into your favorite NLE and render to DV. Since you are working with still frames, the color space is better for correcting and the image size generally far exceeds DV, so you can zoom in on the frames without image degredation. You can also fit a 1280x720 frame size inside a 1600x1200 image size(I use a cheap camera,) so you could render out to 720p HD, if you wanted to.

I have found that powering the laptop and camera for 12-24 hours the biggest problem when doing remote location timelapse. I created a simple extended run power supply using a DC/AC inverter and a car battery that runs my setup for about 48 hours.

~aaron