:) hai

i need to know about proper meter reading because iam not able to find any proper books or resourses which describes various aspects of meter reading,so i want to know about the basic principles in reading for different types of shots and also the reading styles of various dp's

manush ps nandan

• Premium Member

i need to know about proper meter reading because iam not able to find any proper books or resourses which describes various aspects of meter reading,so i want to know about the basic principles in reading for different types of shots and also the reading styles of various dp's

manush ps nandan

Manush:

I've found this book to be fairly informative; and it does a pretty good job of discussing situations in which your meter may be fooled. I see that the ASC Store discontinued carrying that book. I'm not sure if it's still in print.

In addition, various DP's and Gaffers discuss their methods of metering in chapter three of Kris Malkiewicz's excellent book "Film Lighting."

• 3 weeks later...

Why don't you use the external light meter rather than in-camera light meter(I believe it's more accurate!)

If you have you manual for your meter, it will tell you a lot. If not, look an line. There are several manuals in PDF form that are downloadable for free. Also read the Lighting, cinematography and camera forums on this site, There are a lot of discussions on proper lighting and metering techniques. There are different tools that do different jobs. You should try to become famillar with all of them. I would start by learning to meter a simple 3 point lighting set up. ( Key, fill, Back) http://shutterbug.com/techniques/lighting/1003sb_lighting/ ,

then 4 point

http://demo.filmunderground.com/5_equip/lighting_basics.htm .

This should give you a good start. Once you master these techniques yu will be on your way. Find out about filters and gells and what they do to the stop readings. A lot of this information is available at the manufacture's website. Ask specific questions on this board, there are several people willing to help you. Read about film stocks, especially the ones you are planning to use. No one can do this for you, you have to do the research, study and practice yourself. Once you learn some basics, the techniques of professional cinematographers will make more sence to to you and you will slowly be able to incorperate them into you work. Just my advice, take it or leave it.

Edited by Capt.Video