Follow Focus for Konvas

Benji Bakshi

Thinking about grabbing a Konvas to play around with, B-roll, music video work. But as I checked out a nice package to buy, a big concern I had was - there are no rods, base plate, or gears on lenses.

I see a Konvas baseplate on Ebay from Rafcamera, but it looks very low relative to the lens.

Does anyone know of any follow focus solutions out there? Where to find gear rings, follow focus, base plate, etc?

Thanks, y'all.

(Just got back from North Carolina, so I'm allowed to say y'all now)

Guest DEMUTIGER
Thinking about grabbing a Konvas to play around with, B-roll, music video work. But as I checked out a nice package to buy, a big concern I had was - there are no rods, base plate, or gears on lenses.

I see a Konvas baseplate on Ebay from Rafcamera, but it looks very low relative to the lens.

Does anyone know of any follow focus solutions out there? Where to find gear rings, follow focus, base plate, etc?

Thanks, y'all.

Greetings,

The bridgeplate setup from Rafcamera works perfectly with the 2m. I have the same unit and it's totally compatible with all 15mm rod accessories inlcuding matteboxes and follow focus units. As far as the lens gearing is concerned, the lenses for Kinor 35 have 50mm pitch gears on them. I have a follow focus from JBK Cinequipt that has the proper gear.

Check this:

http://www.jbkcinequipt.com/RUSKAFF205.jpg

I welcome you to the brave new/old soviet world of cinema cameras.

Ian

Thanks, y'all.

Raf makes a follow focus for the Konvas. He's also on the verge of fabricating follow focus rings that attach to the normal lenses. His site (if you didn't already know) is www.konvas.com

Best Regards,

Dan Cordle

=Thinking about grabbing a Konvas to play around with, B-roll, music video work. But as I checked out a =nice package to buy, a big concern I had was - there are no rods, base plate, or gears on lenses.

I use Konvas-2M camera with base plate with rods from Kinor-35 H camera set, follow focus from Kinor-35H camera set and universla lens hood from Kinor-35 H camera set too.

Frankly speaking, i can use follow focus with zoom lenses, anamoprhic leses, because, the lens must have a some distance between body and focus gear.

The image of my Konvas-2M camera you can see on my site.

I put a standard Arri plate onto my Konvas via the 3/8 screw hole under the camera. Works perfectly no issues. You can mount on long lenses with the rods, no problems.

R,

standard Arri plate onto my Konvas via the 3/8 screw hole under the camera. Works perfectly no issues.

R,

Thanks. I'll have to check it out...

BTW I'm getting this Konvas soon. Anything I should know as a future Konvas owner? Tips/tricks/frustrations?

• 1 year later...

I use Konvas-2M camera with base plate with rods from Kinor-35 H camera set, follow focus from Kinor-35H camera set and universla lens hood from Kinor-35 H camera set too.

Olex,

I recall you mentioning you had to modify your Kinor baseplate in order to use it with the Konvas. If memory serves, you had to make a new placement for the screw mount. Is this correct?

Best Regards,

Dan Cordle

Thanks. I'll have to check it out...

BTW I'm getting this Konvas soon. Anything I should know as a future Konvas owner? Tips/tricks/frustrations?

Will need inspect condition of mechanism and other devices, clean and oil of parts.

You will need check of correct positin of mirror disk. The flange focal distance of lens mount will be good check too.

About base plate of Kinor-35 for Konvas.

Yes, Will need make a new hole for screw. Because, the coordinate of optical axis of Kinor-35 and Konvas-2M differ.