New Music Video

A video I did for the singer Chris Garneau about 8 months ago has been finished.

I've posted it on my website:

http://www.mediumgrey.com/music%20videos.html

Click on the image at right to play.

Comments and critiques welcome.

Some tech info:

35mm

Kodak Expression

uncoated lenses from Panavision shot wide open at a T2

shot at 36 fps, Arri 3

'flicker' is intentional

7 hour shoot from arrival to drive away

A video I did for the singer Chris Garneau about 8 months ago has been finished.

I've posted it on my website:

http://www.mediumgrey.com/music%20videos.html

Click on the image at right to play.

Comments and critiques welcome.

Some tech info:

35mm

Kodak Expression

uncoated lenses from Panavision shot wide open at a T2

shot at 36 fps, Arri 3

'flicker' is intentional

7 hour shoot from arrival to drive away

Hey-

Nice quick work! Is that mostly practical lighting? I really like the 36 fps, looks very soft... and the talent is interesting as well. Is the singer singing along in synch? I'm wondering because I'm shooting/directing a music video on monday where I was gonna do most of it at 48fps and have the singer sing along to a track sped up to double the normal speed, so that it would be in synch with him in slo-mo, but the track was so fast his performance was gonna be a problem. Also, coordinating extra action at that speed is tricky to get it precise....I'm gonna shoot him at 30fps, and do some of the action of the additional action at 48 and 64.

Thought and ideas appreciated....

RBG

Hey-

Nice quick work! Is that mostly practical lighting? I really like the 36 fps, looks very soft... and the talent is interesting as well. Is the singer singing along in synch? I'm wondering because I'm shooting/directing a music video on monday where I was gonna do most of it at 48fps and have the singer sing along to a track sped up to double the normal speed, so that it would be in synch with him in slo-mo, but the track was so fast his performance was gonna be a problem. Also, coordinating extra action at that speed is tricky to get it precise....I'm gonna shoot him at 30fps, and do some of the action of the additional action at 48 and 64.

Thought and ideas appreciated....

RBG

Actually the only practical lighting was in the kitchen where it's blue. We had practicals on in the rest of the diner but they weren't providing any exposure. Come to think of it, the whole video was kinos and a couple 650s with chimeras.

Yes the singer was singing at 1.5x normal speed to stay in synch. It wasn't easy for him to do but it worked. It tends to be really tricky, like you said, for the artists to sing and do action that fast. I think doing yours at 30 is a good idea with non-synch stuff going faster (48 & 64).

Just remembered another fun piece of trivia on my video. There is a shot under a table. Since we were shooting so fast and wide open, I decided to use the lens light for fill. You can see it as a highlight in the leg of the table. I did the same thing before on a theatrical commercial and when we were shooting the director thought I was insane. I believe his words were "You're using the camera light when you have a $10,000 lighting package outside?" "Yup!"

Hey-

Nice work on the camera light. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Thanks for the reinforcement on the frame/per/second thing with the

singer. I appreciate it. And again, nice work. The video looks great!

RBG