7217 vs 7218

Hello everyone,

How do these two stocks (7218/7217) compare as far as grain, contrast, shadow detail, etc

I've used 7218 before but this time around I'm looking for a finer grain stock and would rather shoot a bit brighter (because of the ASA) and then bring it down in post. Does anyone have any comments or experiences to share about these stocks.

Thanks

• Premium Member
Hello everyone,

How do these two stocks (7218/7217) compare as far as grain, contrast, shadow detail, etc

I've used 7218 before but this time around I'm looking for a finer grain stock and would rather shoot a bit brighter (because of the ASA) and then bring it down in post. Does anyone have any comments or experiences to share about these stocks.

Thanks

The "look" is very similar, except that the 7218 has a bit more graininess since it is 1-1/3 stop faster. If you have the light, use the slower stock for finer grain. But if you need the speed, its better to use the 7218 than underexpose the 7217.

• Premium Member

The difference is more than just a matter or grain. You'll also want to be guided by the specific type of look you're after. Lighting for the same T-stop you'd use with 5218 will give a brighter overall look with 5217. I would let that be your guide. Darkening in post still won't make it look like 5218, if that's the look you're after. On this one I would strongly recommend a test with both stocks.

Mainly, I want it to look clean and slick.

I'm just a bit concerned about one scene which I'm visualizing a bit dark.

I'm going to use soft sources mainly, I built some of those "covered wagons", the lights that Claudio Miranda mentioned in this website a while ago. They are great.