Gl2 Sound

Jesse.ocean

I hope someone can help: I am going to purchase a Cannon GL2 for videographer work. A lot of the shooting will take place outside in Manhattan. The reviews I've read describle the Mic that comes with the camera as poor in quality. I was thinking of getting a Sennheiser supercardiod with a beachtek (sp?) but neither the Cannon website or the Sennheiser wesites are very helpful.

Does anyone have a link that can help me find a mic that a) atually fits the camera and B) is the best value. Also, does anyone have an opinion to the contrary on the mic choice for outside work? Any thought or opinions would be appreciated.

I hope someone can help: I am going to purchase a Cannon GL2 for videographer work. A lot of the shooting will take place outside in Manhattan. The reviews I've read describle the Mic that comes with the camera as poor in quality. I was thinking of getting a Sennheiser supercardiod with a beachtek (sp?) but neither the Cannon website or the Sennheiser wesites are very helpful.

Does anyone have a link that can help me find a mic that a) atually fits the camera and B) is the best value. Also, does anyone have an opinion to the contrary on the mic choice for outside work? Any thought or opinions would be appreciated.

You'll need to get an adaptor if you want to plug the mic directly into the cam. It has a 1/8" mini-jack, but it sounds terrible and the design is weak. You can use any XLR mic with an 1/8" adaptor, so any mic will fit it, but I wouldn't recommend it due to the poor sound quality of the input type.

It would help to know what your budget is. I have used the Canon MA-200 adaptor for the GL-2 which is running for around $170 so I could digitally connect an XLR cable through the advanced hot-shoe mount on the cam and it sounds very good. If you can get a boom operator (and you'll need one if you're shooting outside in Manhattan), he can just rrun a line into that and monitor the recordings using the headphone out on the GL-2. Depending kon your budget, I would suggest the Sennheiser ME66/K6 mic which is fairly directional and has a very nice sound. It runs at around $500.