Band of Brothers

I was watching Band of Brothers last night and there was a shot simulating the POV of one of the soldiers that was shooting with a Filmo.It looked like the very old,first Kodachrome,very grainy and contrasty.Anyone know how this was achieved?It almost looked like they used a print stock to shoot on,which was something I saw some film students play around with when I worked at a lab.

Marty

I really love the look of that show.A lot of high speed shutter,feel like you're there stuff.Would like to know more about what he uses with respect to film stocks,lenses etc.Anything published recently in AC about it?Been awhile since I subscibed.

Marty

could they have used kodachrome?

Doubt it,since modern Kodachrome is very fine grained with saturated colors.This was very grainy,faded colors,very contrasty much like the Kodachrome of the period,which looks nothing like present day Kodachrome.

I have some 8mm and 16mm Kodachrome shot back in the 40's and 50's,it's amazing how well it's held up.On the other hand I have 3/4" and Betacam tapes from the 80's and 90's which won't play anymore.

Marty

could they have used kodachrome?

Doubt it,since modern Kodachrome is very fine grained with saturated colors.This was very grainy,faded colors,very contrasty much like the Kodachrome of the period,which looks nothing like present day Kodachrome.

I have some 8mm and 16mm Kodachrome shot back in the 40's and 50's,it's amazing how well it's held up.On the other hand I have 3/4" and Betacam tapes from the 80's and 90's which won't play anymore.

Marty

It was just a thought. And indeed (about the archival ability). I have seen many people with dead digital media cards these past few months. Myself, I'll trust Kodachrome more than I will a digital format.

But, what I ment was, could you force modern Kodachrome to look like old kodachrome? If you push process Super8 Kodachrome, it gets faded, and looks more like old-school 16mm kodachrome. While not exact, it's closer and could be a base to then "trick it up."

You can talk about this look of Kodachrome and that look of Kodachrome but you have to relate it to what you are either going to print it to or how you are going to transfer it.

I would think in a transfer you could make "new Kodachrome" look like some idea of "old school Kodachrome"

Did you see the PBS doc -- I think it was called "World War II in Color" ? (I could be wrong about the title) Lots of Old School Kodachrome in that show (and some Agfacolor as well)

-Sam

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about transferring Kodachrome to neg stock and making it look "old school", but I do know that there are ways of making Kodachrome look like the vintage Kodachrome of the 1940s. Taking Kodachrome 64 and shooting it at EI 80 without extended development gives it a more saturated color, so it figures that shooting the same film at 40 or 50 with normal processing will accomplish such a faded look. Of course, with K40A, shooting at 32 will probably come across the same way, but it will probaly take some experimentation. Since the film has less latitude than K64, it might be better to pull less than 1/3 of a stop. Also, filtration of some sort might give the film the right "feel"

Regards.

~Karl Borowski